1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Tracks = $20,000 more?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Total Landscape Solutions, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Total Landscape Solutions

Total Landscape Solutions LawnSite Member

Jut got some ballpark figures from my Bobcat dealer. The T250 is $20,000 more than the S250. I was definitely not expecting that much of a jump in price.

For those of you who had this choice in the past, are you happy with the machine you chose?

In my 13yrs I have almost always had wheels. But the benefits of tracks for walkway and patio excavation are a definite point for the track machine.

I can't help but wonder "Is the extra $20,000 worth it?"

2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

i don't understand why they are so much more new.

buy a used one they depreciate pretty fast.

they will come in line with their wheeled counterparts

3. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

by a used one with 500 hrs or so they drop about 15k-20k

4. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

If you indeed are set on buying a new machine, consider buying a wheeled machine and then purchasing a set of Loegering VTS tracks......new, I believe, are about $11-12,000.........I bought mine used for $8,300.

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Thats a little over priced for a tracked skid steer. What parts are worth 20 grand more on the CTL ?

How much is it to replace the tracks when they wear out ?

6. cat2

cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi

I think I will stick with my wheeled skid steers. If I have good tires that's all I need.

7. turboawd

turboawd LawnSite Member
    from midwest

look at other brands. bobcat is the most expensive.
    i know you can get a lot better price on a comparable gehl, case, or new holland.

8. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

In some situations the tracks are the difference between being able to work and having to let someone else do the job. I would not go back to tires. The difference in monthly payment should only be a few hundred bucks; the tracks create that extra amount of money for me easily each month. If they won't pay for themselves in your situation, then I wouldn't get them. For some kinds of work, though, they are really the only way to go.

9. JDSKIDSTEER

JDSKIDSTEER LawnSite Bronze Member

The only thing is that most people get into these machines with no money down and no equity. Then they want to trade every two years. Track machines depreciate so fast that people stay upside down in them. I always try to tlk customers into keeping 4 or 5 years even with rubber tire machines. I see a lot of people make bad business decissions. On the upside, I am taking a customer to Debuqe next week so he can drive his new CT322 off the line at what we call a Gold Key tour.

10. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Here T300 loaded is about 55K(last years prices)
    A S300 was 45k.

Absolutely.

Here in Georgia we have the luxury of being able too purchase Takeuchi machines very cheap.
    I could not have purchased a wheeled machine for any cheaper.
    But if I had too pay 20 k more than a wheeled machine too have a tracked machine I would probally have a tired machine.