1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

tracks or tires

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by DBFlawn, Sep 23, 2008.

1. DBFlawn

DBFlawn LawnSite Member

hi this is my first post. i mainly just read on here and my dad owns a fence company. i just love reading about things like this. but anyhow i was wondering whick in better on the grass over all. a ctl or ssl. im just talking about grass. wet grass dry grass. which over all does less damage. i have looked on google but cant find anything believe it or not.

also obsiouly tires are better on pavement but how long do tracks last on pavement.

thanks DBF

2. atasteofnature

atasteofnature LawnSite Senior Member

In my 9 years of experience i have found tracks to be great things for less marks in the grass and is doesn't compact as much as the weight is evenly spread but also with the tracks you need to keep them cleaned out and tighten which isn't hard but more on the preventive maintenance end of it. That is all for my $.02.

3. DBFlawn

DBFlawn LawnSite Member

so the tracks have less disturbance in grass than the tires no matter what conditions.

thnaks DBF

4. atasteofnature

atasteofnature LawnSite Senior Member

as soon as you want to move with tires that little area will grip that grass and just pull on it where the tracks will take the whole area of track and move the machine and not spin out.

5. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

It really depends on the operator as much. I could tear up a lawn by doing a complete 360 or i could make a very wide turn a do little damage. you can also do the forward and reverse turn where you just keep drive up and back while turning nice and easy at the same time. A wheel machine on wet grass will tear it up quicker than a track machine will. But all in all it just depends on how many times you have to track or drive over the area before it's destroyed.
    Rubber tracks on concrete or asphalt don't really mix very good. you'll see just how much rubber is on the ground after you drive on concrete. As much as those tracks cost I never run mine on concrete or asphalt unless it is to load the machine on a trailer. that's it though.

6. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

did you get a new set of tracks for your 150?

7. Digdeep

Digdeep LawnSite Bronze Member

Tracks are much better on grass than tires. Go to youtube and type in "ASV turf". It amazes me how gentle those turf tracks are.

8. DBFlawn

DBFlawn LawnSite Member

so tires rip up that little area while the tracks slide over the grass?

9. DBFlawn

DBFlawn LawnSite Member

i saw that when i was looking for information. that amazes me too. do they have those for bobcat?

10. Digdeep

Digdeep LawnSite Bronze Member

Nope. I think ASV is the only one who offers a track like that as far as I've seen. I'm pretty sure they have a patent on their undercarriages and their tracks.