Tracks or Wheels

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by bartlane, May 12, 2008.

1. bartlane

bartlane LawnSite Member

I am thinking about buying a mini skid steer. I was just planning on getting a track machine but the other day I was talking to another landscaper and he said he like his wheel machine better. Which one should I get? Does anybody know anything about a Thomas 25GT? Are they good machines?

2. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Go for the tracks, you won't be seeing the higher costs of operating with the larger tracked skid steers and with such a small machine, you'll still be getting work done while the others are spinning their tires.

3. Ausman

Ausman LawnSite Senior Member

25GT is defunct since Thomas went broke

4. xtoyz

xtoyz LawnSite Member

What's wrong with a wheeled skid steer add aftermarket tracks? Best of both worlds you'd think....right?

5. bobcat_ron

They lack good floatation and stability and addding tracks to a wheeled machine puts more stress on the already small drive motors and drive chains.

6. xtoyz

xtoyz LawnSite Member

Well, than how much is it to replace a set of tracks? For what I'd do with it, tracks wouldn't wear too quick (lots of use in snow), but I've seen that they wear out between 1-2k hours?

7. bobcat_ron

1000 hours is the normal point of replacement, for myself, I was putting new tires on my old skid every 200 - 250 hours and I was still losing work that I could get with CTL, so I bought one and upped my rates $5 per hour, over 1000 hours, the extra rate increase (both from a bigger machine and tracks) basically put $5000 into my pocket for track replacement, I got more work done on time and I got more customers at the same time.

Tires at the time cost me $1500 installed, I used regular skid steer tires with rubber inserts with bead lock rims, over 1000 hours I was going to piss away $6000 in rubber and still not get the work I wanted where floatation was the key. That's when I made the jump.