Traction paint

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by mtdman, Nov 28, 2005.

1. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Anyone know of a paint that you can apply that leaves a traction surface when dried? Kind of a gritty, no slip surface? And for a reasonable price? I need something for a set of wooden ramps I use for snow removal.
    Thanks

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Ya, rust-oeum makes a sand like paint additive called ANTI-SLIP. You add one container of this to one gallon of paint. I used it on my trailer ramp and trailer decking, works awsome. $7 at your local home depot in the paint department.

3. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

They sell it in qt's and gal's at Lowes, probably at Homedepot to. You can find it in the paint section. I bought a gallon the other day, bought a bunch of other junk too so dont remember the price, but it was less than $20. Make sure you get them to shake it up for you.

4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I looked at both Lowes and Homedepot today, asked at both, they didn't have anything.

5. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

staple chicken wire on them

6. chopsticks33

chopsticks33 LawnSite Member

if you have ace hardware stores...they have it

7. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Get some play sand from the hardware store. Paint the ramps and sprinkle the sand on the ramps before the paint dries.

8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i Herculined my bed in my f350, I had some extra left over so I took the painted the flat stock side rails on my trailer where I often find myself climbing in and out of. It helps reduce bruised shins big time!

9. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

10. Grassman6

Grassman6 LawnSite Member

Silica sand that is used for sand blasting on top of a coat of John Deere paint works really well. I put it on the solid trailer deck area, steps going into the garage and even on the left side of my Z-trak where I step on/off tne mower. Just a little moisture in these areas can cause a problem and regular sand is just too course. If you have never used John Deere brush paint you will be amazed at the ease of application.