Traction Tires - Carlisle Stryker ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 2manymowers, May 5, 2004.

1. 2manymowers

2manymowers LawnSite Member

I know it's probably too aggressive tread for most of you who mow commercially, but has anyone tried them? I did a forum search and did not find much.

2. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

I used to retrofit a larger offset dished wheel and atv tread type tire.....

You have to know where the cut line really was, but you could cut long pond banks side ways- all day.

Not that the manufacturer would recommend that.

I cut mostly St Augustine, which is thick and spongy with gator mulching blades. For the Bahia, I needed to use the high lift blades to pull up the mashed grass-

Aggressive tread style provide a benefit. A wider footprint plus the aggressive tread is better yet.

But you will get to a point of diminshing return if the area is wet enough that weight of the machine comes into play-

Same for expecting traction even if you don't care about the turf-

Aint gonna happen.

It aint an ASV and never could be.

But, an operator ought to be able to mow with Wooly Boogers on a ZTR without tearing up turf in my type of grasses.

I don't know about yours. Or whether said person driving those tires is an operator.

(There's a 16 by 8 by 8 knobby tire out there commonly found on 50 and 80 cc four wheelers that work UNREAL on your garden variety belt driven walk behind. Send me a PM on what to look for if you want to retain your wheels, but upgrade tires.)

3. GeeVee

got a link to a pictureof the stryker?

4. 2manymowers

http://www.stopandgotires.com/tirebrandmod.asp?brand='Carlisle'

The link I'm trying won't work for some reason. Click on the link above, then click on Carlisle, then scroll down to Stryker.

5. GeeVee

Good choice.

I've seen that as OEM-

6. 2manymowers

Checked the Carlisle site and they don't make the Stryker in the size I need. I'll have to look for something else.

Thanks

7. GeeVee

Check various ATV sites.

8. 2manymowers

I bought the Carlisle Super lugs. They have worked real good for me on a 20 hp lawn tractor, so I am going to try them on a small ZTR. You said you have seen the Strykers as OEM. On what have you seen them?

Thanks

9. lahanko

lahanko LawnSite Member
    from NY

2manymowers,

Like these?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. 2manymowers

That's the one! Been using them for about 8 years on the garden tractor pulling trail mowers with it. Big traction improvement over the standard turf tires. Never tried them on a ZTR. We will see how they work as soon as I get them mounted.

Thanks