1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Traction

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Mickhippy, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Was driving past a dealer today and noticed the tires on this machine. Had to stop to check it out and thought some here might like to see.
    I believe there Bear Claw 25x12.5x12 or something like that. First time I'd seen them!
    There was only about half inch clearance to the fuel tank and the azz end looked higher. Im sure they adjusted the deck but I would be careful with the hydros etc.

tire.jpg

DSC00427.jpg

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Wow !!
    Bear claw ATV tires on a 31 Kawi Super Z..
    That should have some traction !!
    I would be cautious for sure.

Pj

3. Mickhippy

They dont just sell them like this all the time. It's bought and paid for, I believe private use on a sloping block.
    I was told by "my" dealer that this sort of thing could cause dramas with pumps or wheel motors, what do you think PJ?
    I assume it would make the machine faster on flat ground but would it go ok up steep slopes? Maybe the ATZ pumps would be better option. But with the 31Kaw might be ok??????
    Also, with the higher ground clearance at the rear, potential for flipping over backwards would be greater too. I reckon anyway!
    That said, if it would work ok, and in commercial applications I would of loved the extra traction. I wonder about turf tearing though, bad enough with the AT101's.
    That machine looked awesome!

4. SuperZ

SuperZ LawnSite Member

PJ,

If a guy was to mount some tires like these, would it cause excess wear on the wheel motors and hydro system? Are there any other additional effects that could cause problems with the machine? I would think it would tear up the turf like crazy, unless you were real talented!!

5. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I am not really sure what the effects would be, I would imagine the pumps and wheel motors may get a little more of a work out if the wheels don't slip like they did with the stock tires in certain conditions.
    I will ask one of our engineers.

Pj

6. howierd3866

howierd3866 LawnSite Senior Member

yes it will be harder on the machine plus no more yards those will eat some grass up they are go for some slope and around ponds but thats it..You need another set of tires and rims to replace when mowing lawns..

7. MOHUSTLER

MOHUSTLER LawnSite Bronze Member

It looks REALLY cool though. I want to figure out how to put a lift kit on a mower just for fun :dancing: take it to some ATV mudathons and show off the Hustler name :)

8. Mickhippy

Rather than starting another thread...
    This probably a stupid question but I want to put new tires on my front casters, is it just a matter of undoing the bolt and remove the axle or is there something more to it?

9. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Just pull that axle bolt out and remove the wheel slowly, the bearing and end caps may be lose enough to fall out.

Pj

10. Mickhippy

Cool, thanks for the tip!