Tractor Aerator Attachments

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chris Wagner, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Chris Wagner

Chris Wagner LawnSite Senior Member

We're in a position at my church (where I'm the director of grounds) to purchase some aerator equipment.

We have:
    1 JD LT155 lawn tractor
    1 JD 770 tractor

What seems practical, especially for our large field is some tow-behind equipment.

Has anyone used tow-behind aeratoring equipment? If so, did you prefer the core aerators or the ones with tine tips?

Here are few things I found in my preliminary search.

[​IMG]

This JD unit allows spreading as well... could be useful for fert. & seed too.
    [​IMG]

Obviously something that is going to be easy to use and maintain, with price being important (unfortunately), is going to be important to the church.

Prior, we rented Ryans and walked the whole campus. Not fun. :(

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Have you thought about renting the Ryan's tow behind model?

3. grasscutter122003

grasscutter122003 LawnSite Member
    from georgia

I have used tow behinds for years. The most durable one I've used was sold by Bluebird which is now Husqvarna. You can get a choice of slicer blades,coring spoons or spikes. Tough unit had mine for 8 years and still going. Just had to replace the spoons a couple of times. And as far as which type, spoons or spikes. Here in Georgia we need cores, because of the clay type soil. I's best to remove the plug from the soil to help the roots penetrate this hard surface.Spike type are good for bermuda lawns. They will do a little vertical slicing of runners and penetrate the thatch without leaving cores.:)

4. Chris Wagner

Chris Wagner LawnSite Senior Member

I guess why rent when you can buy? We'll obviously be using this unit as long as it lasts.

Great info so far. Thanks!

5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I use a Lesco tow behind. The aerator payed for itself the first week that I had it.

lesco48.jpg