tractor business

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by amobcp, Jun 8, 2004.

1. amobcp

amobcp LawnSite Member

does anyone primarily offer tractor services like Bush hogging, post hole digging, mowing, plowing etc. The list is almost endless what a tractor can do. Can a aggressive hard working guy keep a tractor moving full time as your primary service?

2. Canadian GreenScape

Canadian GreenScape LawnSite Member

Ive been wondering the same thing.. I have a JD 4100 and use it now for mowing and snowblowing in the winter.. Next summer a ZTR will be replacing it for mowing and im wondering what to get for attachments.. sweeper? tiller? boxblade?

3. Burger

Burger LawnSite Member
    from Montana

I purchased a sub compact utility tractor myself, 60" mid mount mower, loader, post hole digger, box scraper, and a really neat little estate rake that pulls up the pine needles very nicely. My little kubota is only rated a little over 600 lbs on the three point hitch. This keeps me away from the heavier attachments like power rakes and turf renovators. Mine mows very well, The mid mount mower is really simple to attach/remove. I was really impressed with its abilities with the box scraper. Four wheel drives helps that a lot.
    Here, people are buying them and using them for mowing, tight and small area paving, fencing, and landscaping. The Dealer has sold a lot of the Backhoe equipped versions to home owners and contractors who like the small tractor and the six foot digging depth.
    Some Turf folks might want to scope the Woods/Gill Super Turf Renovator.

http://www.woodsonline.com/turf_gro...super_turf_renovator/super_turf_renovator.asp

4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I bought my Kubota B7500 off a friend last year. It only get used maybe one to two days a week. But I try real hard to get the work to keep it busy. Some times you can get enough work to keep it busy. Other times you don't have enought time for the work. Like tilling gardens in the spring. I made close to $1000 just doing that this spring. In the spring and fall your busy airating. Mid summer when it really slows down. In the winter your a plow king. But when your doing mulch its a powered wheel barrow. You can put down twice the amount of mulch in the same time with it.

I wouldn't recommend having it as your only source of income. Unless you has a power rake or rotodarin. A back hoe will keep you busy all the time. (most big backhoe companies wouldn't bother with small jobs, which is where your are king with a little machine)

I have a 3pt snow blower and a shop built loader mounted snowplow for snow removel. I also have a rotortiller, aerator, rock rake, mid mount mower(MMM), box scraper, rear blade, and brush hog. I got a friend with a post hole digger, so when I need one, I can borrow it. I currently am starting to built a frame mounted backhoe. (finally getting to put that Miller MIG welder to work) A kubota one was $6500. I can built one myself for $2500.

I am glad it has a MMM. Since I got really behind early this year before I got my sentar. I had one Stander out of commission, do to a deck (cracked) replacement. So I had the Kubota and the other stander out mowing together. Me on the tractor, my sister on the stander. Its not as fast a ZTR. But it better than the 32" metro on 3 acre jobs.

5. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Massey Ferguson 1428 with a bushhog, blade, and front end loader. I advertised bushhogging last year but took it out of my ad this year to 2 reasons:

1. Women called thinking that bushhogging means that you trim bushes, which we do plenty of anyway.
    2. People do not want to pay a decent price for real bushhogging around here because too may old farts will do it for chump change. This is a farming area and old tractors and bushhogs are a dime a dozen.

I primarily use mine for landscaping jobs to move mulch and stone and snow removal in the winter on drieways and loading docks.