Tractor deals

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Bunton Guy, Dec 21, 2002.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Well everyweek I buy these trader magazines as can be seen on Traderonline.com and they always have tractor ads for mahindra,new holland & massey fergusan(sp?) they have deals where you can get a tractor with 28+hp engine plus a front end loader, trailer, box scrape and a few more tools all for 200 bucks a month wich they spread the payments out to around 72 months...my question is for doing landscaping what size tractor would i need for pushing around sand,dirt,gravel and hauling plants in the bucket. Are these good deals and has anyone done this type of deal before ? What tractors have you had luck with

2. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

i look at those traders every tues when the new ones come out. i work with a guy who bought a yanmar package deal for about 5'000,i think it's about 25hp.he said he loves it. he's not a landscaper though.

i want one for the same reasons you do and i believe a man needs atleast 25hp.live clutch,2spd pto and preferably 4W D.:cool:

3. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Massey Fergeson branded tractor, model 1233. I purchased the tractor, front end loader, box blade, 60" shredder and pipe trailer as a package deal.
    The smaller (under 35 pto hp) tractors are typically japanese, chinese or korean. The one I have is japanese - Iseki.
    I had two upgrades to my package, one was dual rear remote hydraulics so I can run my T-5 power box rake. The second was a Bushhog upgrade from the AgriFive shredder. I should have gotten a Gannon box blade as well instead of the Howse box blade that came in the deal.
    I would stay away from Iseki until the pto problems I encountered with my tractor gets re-engineered. My difficulty had nothing to do with the dealer, it was AGCO (Massey Fergeson). I actually had to call the US Operations President and still my problems haven't been addressed.
    I have no experience with newer, compact tractors.
    For actual work, landscaping, yard installs, etc. 28 pto hp like what I have is perfect. I can grade or drive right next to a foundation with out compaction issues, the same with subgrade or finish grade work as well. The only real weakness to the smaller tractors are reach on the bucket - you will not be able to fully load even a 4cyd dump truck with out a ramp) and the loader picks up @1/2 ton - that's it.
    I would purchase a package like this again - just not M-F.

4. Bunton Guy

So your saying if it is a compact tractor its most likely not a true massey or other brand its some foreign crap with the popular name thown on it ? Why is this is this for price reasons? is that how they make it a good deal?

5. grassdaddy

I have been told by a dealer all new holland, massey, and J.D under 30hp have Jap. engines. everyone seems to love the yanmar in the J.D. I dont know about the others. :D

6. MWS LAWN

MWS LAWN LawnSite Member

I just bought a 4310 J.D. which is a 32 h.p. I love this tractor, very well built.

7. kayssupply

kayssupply LawnSite Member

I have been using and selling Yanmar and other grey market tractors and construction equipment for the last five years. I have had great luck with the quality of these tractors. I would love to discuss the pros and cons if anyone would like to listen. I would be glad to refer you to someone closer to you if I am too far away to take a personal look at some of them.

ymg1800d.jpg

8. grassdaddy

how much hp do you have to get to get 3cyl.?i heard the 3cyl. are awhole lot better in the yanmar than the 2.??:blob3:

9. kayssupply

kayssupply LawnSite Member

You can get 3 cyl. Yanmars from 17 engine hp to ?? 40 is the largest I have seen but they are not available very often. The one pictured is a 22hp 3cyl. The 2 cyl actually have more torque. They are available in 15 to 30+ hp. They are older. They are available with very low hours and in very good shape. Most people just don't like the noise they make. The smaller ones don't have a water pump and can get hot if worked very hard in very hot temps. If you have any more questions fire away.

Here is a later model 3 cyl. 26hp

f22d 1.jpg

10. Bunton Guy

I had rented a Kubota im guessing B series I cant exactly remember it was a 3 cylinder around 24hp it had a front end loader it was a brut I loved it. And it wsa 4X4 I would love to find one that is more affordable. Wether its yanmar or not what kind of prices would I be looking at for these yanmar tractors? I will be mostly using it in the fall for pulling a large aerator, moving mulch, moving soil & gravel, grading new landscape projects, bushogging, splitting firewood, pulling tree stumps & pulling cut trees out of the woods wether on forks or pulled by chains. Thats the type of work this guy would have to be up for. Im guessing I would put around 700 hours per year on the motor.