Tractor instead of ZTR?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by danslawncare, Dec 21, 2004.

1. danslawncare

danslawncare LawnSite Member

I recently posted a thread about how to make money with my sub utility tractor. Anothe memeber sugguseted i use it as a ZTR. I don't mean to make him sound silly, as i apprechate his responce, but do you think it would cut and work as well as a ZTR? A garden tractor will cut as well as a ZTR?

2. williamjordan84

williamjordan84 LawnSite Member

A garden tractor will cut just as good as a ZTR. I have been running 2 Kubota G5200 diesel tractors for the past 4 years. I upgrated this year to a Kubota ZG 20. I find the tractors easier to get on and off and are better on my hills. ZTR is just plain faster on the turns :)

3. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

never, unless you don't have to turn around!

4. danslawncare

danslawncare LawnSite Member

So you guys wouldn't feel weird showing up at a costomers house with a Utility Tractor instead of a Commerical Walk behind. I just think that they would look down upon that...maybe i'm just not accepting this?

5. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

It will just take you a little bit longer.

6. blair smock

blair smock LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

but most tractors do not have a commercial grade of deck and will not hold up as well, (reffering to belly mowers) If I were you I would be advertising Bush hogging! Sounds like you are almost their.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I'll tell ya what, I'd almost bet money you'll be headed for the dealer just as fast as you can go when you find out what's coming out for 2005. I'm #1 on the list and I'm pretty sure I'll be bringing one home.

But don't ask because I've been sworn to secrecy and the MFG of said product is VERY sensitive about any information leaks at this point. I'll spill the beans as soon as possible.

8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I think most are judged in this business being the lawn boy, grass guy or mower dude.....reguardless of what we use to cut their lawn. So my answer is no, I don't think they would look down on you because you use a tractor. Now, other LCO's might secretly poke fun of you. I started off with a Murray tractor. Upgrading to a ZTR saved about 30% of my time. Absolutely could not live without it. I think you existing customers might have a higher respect for you if you USED to use a tractor and then saw that you bought a fancy ZTR. Most will percieve this as business is good for you, you made a considerable investment and you are here to stay.

9. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Envy, will you be able to talk about it come January 1, 2005. I'm guessing its a Simplicity so we'll have to see if i'm right later on.

10. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

i hate when people do this...... "I have all this great information that will change the tractor mowing world, but dont ask me to tell you....."

I wish they would just wait til they could talk about it........ before they drop one of these "I know something you dont know......"