Tractor or mower?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by wildstarblazer, Mar 10, 2008.

1. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering if I should purchase a tractor to multi task mowing and do landscaping. I want to lean more towards landscape design and install but also want some lawns to keep cash flow plus I enjoy mowing. I just don't want to spend mega dollars to have a zero turn and a tractor. Any suggestions?
  2. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

good luck, thats like wanting to plow snow and race nascar with one vehicle, not very practical. if you want to do both and are leaning towards hardscaping, buy the tractor and a nice cheap $2k walk behind mower. just my oppion.
  3. Dodge2

Dodge2 LawnSite Member
    from ottawa

It realy depends on what type of each you plan on doing. If you have field or open parks to cut, than a nice size tractor(25-40hp pto) might be the way to go if you want a pull behind mower. If your doing anything with some detail or smalll size work you sould be getting a zero turn. The big garden tractors with a loader on the front won't be very good for lots of mowing or alot of detail work, they are a "Jack of all trades, master of none" type machine.
  4. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like the best plan to me !!
  5. CaptPat

CaptPat LawnSite Member

I have a 30 hp compact tractor with a mid-mower deck and I find that you really have to be careful when mowing to avoid tearing up the turf--even with turf tires. And then it will tend to put ruts in the yard--particularly around obstacles where you must follow the same path each time. Finally there are places that are simple too small to get even a compact tractor into. That said in large open areas it's easy to use and does a good job. I'm buying a 36" WB to address these shortcomings.
  6. joe crumpler services

joe crumpler services LawnSite Member

Look at the Deere x500 / x700 series tractors. The x500 series have "belly mowers" and accept an intregal (sleeve) hitch (the same one as the GT 325/335/345/355) for box blades, rakes, cultivators, plows, etc. from Agri-Fab & Brinly-Hardy

The 700 series have shaft drive belly mowers and can be equipped with a front loader, category 0 attachments, even a backhoe. Beware! They are not cheap, but you get what you pay for.
  7. joe crumpler services

joe crumpler services LawnSite Member

Oh yeah, the top-line Simplicity/Snapper Pro* tractors have an available drive-on loader and can also be equipped with a 3 pt hitch for category 0 attachments. A backhoe is also available.

*Briggs & Stratton Power Products Group
  8. KCLawnTamers

KCLawnTamers LawnSite Member

It depends on what size yard your in.. I have hade two KUBOTA B7800s with mid mount 60" mowers and they mow very nice with the standard decks.. You can get a fine cut deck but it really isnt needed.. I have alot of 1.5-3 acre lawns I mow every year and you circle the property twice and it gives you enough room the turn around and it stripes pretty nice for not having a striper kit.. The b7800 has such a tight turning radius, even without the steering brakes and with the hydrostat it is quick.. I mow 2.5 acres with alittle bit of landscaping to go around in 1 hour and 15 minutes.. When I am done it looks like I had my zero turn out there but my back doesnt hurt as bad.. I wish I had pictures because everyone doesnt belive you can make it lok good with a tractor.. Ideally it is the same deck.. Then you can use the tractor for snow removal or whatever you want to put on the back.. Augers same alot of time doing trees.. The loader carrys the trees to the holes for you.. Try that with a ZTR.. I am so happy with them we are looking to buy one more this year.. And I saw someone saying that they tear up the turf, you can do that with a belt drive walk behind.. I have R4 tires on ours and dont have any problems..

P.S. We do snow removal at housing developments and the tractors do 45 driveways in 2 hours per tractor with a king kutter pro 3 point balde.. Try that with a truck.. We did and it tok 4.5 hours back dragging them al..
  9. KCLawnTamers

KCLawnTamers LawnSite Member

If the b tractors are to big for you look at the bx series.. They look like a overgrown lawn tractor but weight the same as the b series and same horse power..