tractor or skidsteer

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by scott185, Feb 7, 2001.

1. scott185

scott185 LawnSite Member

I am planning on buying a tractor or a skidsteer. What would you guys recomend if I can only have one machine? My services include lawn installations,patios, walks, retaining walls, some tree work, fencing and irrigation.

any suggestions would be of great help

Thank you
  2. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

We have used both in the past and by far the skidsteer is the most useful overall. Manuverability is the key to the skidsteer along with quick speeds. We use it to prep ground for new lawns, moving dirt, augering tree holes, moving snow, and many other things.
  3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I think that for starting out that you will find the versatility of a skid steer to be FAR superior to that of a tractor w/backhoe and bucket. I realize that there are many attachments available with tractors but I think that the possibilties and manuverability of a skid steer is the way to fly. If I have a major project that I need the hoe for I just rent it and pass the charge on to the customer.

Hope this helps.
  4. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

For general work a skid steer is the best, but larger grading jobs we find a tractor works better. We can't get away from having both.
  5. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Around here there have been many stories of guys with big tractors trying to do tight work up against a house, and instead they end up doing a roofing/gutter job on the house. Opening up a new skylight for them.
  6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

skid steers are better for most things,but a tractor is the ticket if you have to travel any distance with material in the bucket,and you have to be careful on a lawn with a skid steer-since they skid to steer they will tear it up good,you cant turn on grass and not hurt it,unless you take a huge arc in your turn.I'd rather have a skid steer for its compact power and manuverabiltiy.
  7. Starling Lawn

Starling Lawn LawnSite Member

Skid steer no question.Just pay extra and get a weight kit for the back if you are moving heavier debris loads or trees.
  8. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

seem to minimize the amount the amount of wear and tear on the turf.

9. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

John you have to try one of the new 2 speed models, a flick of your thumb and your going up to 12 mph!
  10. diginahole

diginahole LawnSite Member

My vote is for the skid steer. I think that makes it unnanamous. Mine is a Bobcat 553, 4 ft wide 900lb capacity. Best money that I ever spent. It's worth 10 guys easily. Turning on the back wheels helps keep the damage down on lawns.