tractor or ZTR

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by cowboysfaninWI, May 30, 2008.

1. cowboysfaninWI

cowboysfaninWI LawnSite Member
    from Z4 WI

Hey folks,

I'm in the process of upgrading my L series JD 48" tractor. I'm having a hard time deciding between a ztr or another tractor. Thought I'd try to get a few other opinions. I've got about 1.5 acres with about 20 trees, lots of slopes and a handful of other obstacles. The steepest slope is a bank that's about 400' long and 20' top to bottom. At the bottom it just levels obstacles or anything. It ranges from about 5 degrees at one end and gradually gets steeper to about 20 degrees at the other. The lawn is fairly bumpy in spots, including on the slope.

I have $5-6k to spend. My first choice would be a ZTR to cut down on my mowing time, but because of the slopes and rough ride I'm not sure if it's the right choice. The two models I've looked at are the Hustler Fastrak Super Duty 48 w/ flex forks and the Ferris IS1500 48 - both because they have some type of suspension ride. I don't live close enough to a dealer that I can demo them at home so I don't really know how they would handle on my property. It seems like the Fastrak would handle the slopes a little better as it appears to sit lower to the ground. With the JD(with fluid filled tires) I can mow up/down and across. I just have to go slow and lean. Without the fluid in the tires I would spin the tires frequently.

My other option is sticking with the tractor style and upgrading to the JD X500 to get a beefier, serviceable tranny and diff lock. It does have a 7.2 mph forward speed which is almost a 25% increase over my L series, although I'm not sure what the cut is like at that speed.

Anyone have any thoughts?

2. Landude

Landude LawnSite Member

Have somebody (anybody) drop off a zero turn for you to test out on your property. Then your toughest decision ( and it will be hard) will be which one to buy.