tractor reliability

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Drakeferal, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Drakeferal

Drakeferal LawnSite Member

My wife and I live on a hilly property in granite territory in northern NSW, Australia. We are interested in a 4wd tractor 25 - 30hp with a slasher, blade, carryall, post hole digger. Does anyone have some experience that they are willing to share with us to guide our purchase? We have been thinking about getting a Kubota. What are the limitations, if any, of a cheaper tractor such as a Mahindra? Is a HST a bit like buying an automatic in cars? I've spent my life since eight years old changing gears with a clutch so don't know if I should even be considering a HST. Any tips when looking at second hand tractors? Thanks for your input.

Darryl MEARNS
  2. lamarbur

lamarbur LawnSite Member

Iv'e owned both and continue today with a Kubota L 48 TLB. I had a Mahindra 4110 model with front loader, Bradco 511 backhoe and a 72 " hog mower, (slasher),,, For basic work the Mahindra was flawless. I got rid of the Mahindra simply because of health reasons tied to getting on and off machine to use the hoe end.. With the L 48, I just spin the seat and keep going,,, For keeping around the property, hilly or not,the 4110 Mahindra will suit you well, I'm not sure of a 30HP model, I had the 41 HP model and our property is hilly, rocks, boulders and tons of ledge... My 48 is hydrostatic transmission, and is fine,. No complaints and Kubota dealers really haven't any issues. Again, the smaller Mahindra models weren't available when I had the 41, so I can't answer that. If I had to do it over again, I highly doubt I would get the smaller Mahindra models, or any other brands, with HST transmissions, If I had a lot of hills to deal with, I would have stayed with the 12/12 mechanical transmissions. This way, no loss of power while slashing up a hill or whatever else.,
  3. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Kubota is quality, you cant go wrong buying one!

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i like my deere 4+4 12speed with power reverser which means i can pick a gear and stay in it for mowing
  5. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome to the site. Kubota is good, also where you are, may be cheaper than Deere. Tractorsbynet is another good site to try this thread.
  6. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

My experience with the smaller kubota tractors is they will turn over on anything that would be considered a little steep, especially with a bushhog hooked to the back. They are just to light in the front end. I think that would probably hold true with any of the subcompact tracotrs. Massey seem to be a little more stable. If your going to buy a small tractor to bushhog with, I think I would also opt for a FEL to help keep the front end on the ground. And I dont think you would ever regret having the FEL. And if you are going to include the FEL with your new tractor, I would also want the HST, if no HST then go with the shuttle shift, saves a lot of wear and tear on the old legs.
  7. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

sorry it double posted.
  8. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

I would get a bigger tractor.
    They are much more stable and the added weight helps.
    Also the loaders on the bigger GL series are much stronger.
    The min size in Kubota would be there GL 3830.

I would only get HST drive.
    If you were cutting 8 hours a day then gears are fine.

I own an L3710 (gran series)and if I had it too do over I would have got the biggest tractor in the L series they offer.
    Mine is very stable on hills and is much larger than the plane L series.
    Fuel consumption is awesome.
    Most tasks I can do with 1500 too 1700 rpms.
  9. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I love me John Deere 4310. I have had NO problems with it except the emergency brake light stays on sometimes. What you need to consider is hoe close your dealer is. You don't want to buy a tractor with a dealer 100 miles away if you don't wrench on your own stuff. Just be careful on those hills!