tractor size

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by guff1972, Jan 1, 2004.

1. guff1972

guff1972 LawnSite Member

I am getting into the landscape bussiness and was wondering what size tractor would be the best all around tractor to buy.

2. luke125

luke125 LawnSite Member

instead of a tractor i would look into a skidsteer i don't know what size you would need on that but i'm sure someone could help you

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

What do you want to do with it? You need to post more info.

Mac

4. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I am currently contemplating a ASV-RC50 or RC30 purchase. Traditional style skid steers require heavy duty 10K GVW trailers. Smaller tractors, Sub Comapact or compact machines are typically much lighter and can be towed easily on a tandem Landscape trailer. AN RC-50 weighs 6-6K with bucket, RC-30 3K.. Always figure trailer expense in if you are going bigger or find something smaller that can fill big shoes.

5. guff1972

guff1972 LawnSite Member

I am wanting to do seeding , lot mowing , etc. I am looking at a John Deere 4610

6. olderthandirt

from here

What hp is that? not familar with deere. I use a 21, 30 ,40 hp New Hollands. The 30 and 40HP will do pretty much all you will need to do for awhile. You can run a harley rake to do some prep for seeding and if you get a loader on it you will be able to move top-soil and form flower beds do grading, pull a pulverizer etc. just make sure you get a 4x4. When you say lot mowing I take it your talking about brush-hogging to much weight for finish mowing. I don't even want to get into the whats better skid steer or trac debate

Mac

7. guff1972

guff1972 LawnSite Member

The 4610 JD is 44hp. I am also looking at buying a boxblade, landpride primary seeder and a lanppride pulverizer, any suggestions on additional equipment.

8. olderthandirt

from here

Just a loader, and I think a Landpride power rake is more important than the seeder but if you got the cash get both and your good to go.
    Good luck

Mac

9. guff1972

guff1972 LawnSite Member

What do you do for seeding the yards then, is there a better way to seed.