tractor-skid steer traction ?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by tnmtn, Dec 4, 2006.

1. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

not looking to start a war but curious of the opinion of guys that have run both. under the same circumstances does a 4 wheel drive tractor or a skid steer have better traction on hills or in mud? thanks for the opinions.
    good luck

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

It's hard to say, depends on a few different variables. I've never been able to get a tractor really stuck, and I'll take a tractor on a hill any day. I grew up working in an orchard and the terrain is far from flat, I was taking tractors up 35-40 degree slopes as a kid. I would never venture out there with a skid steer, just a little too dangerous. Plus, you can't jump off. I almost rolled one of our tractors about a year ago, would have jumped but as soon as I hit the brake and did some quick steering it sat back down, never went all the way. Had it on 2 wheels though! :drinkup:

3. minimax

minimax LawnSite Senior Member

The tractor will have better traction because of the front axle will move up and down to keep all wheels pulling!

minimax

4. jd270

jd270 LawnSite Member

i would have to go with a skid with tracks.......taking a tractor on a much of a hill without a roll bar is plain stupid and it is hard to jump clear of a tractor most tactors have a higher center of gravity than a skidsteer and most tractors are not true 4 wheel drive they are called front assist ..........true 4 wheel drives are like my 8650 all the tires are the same size and it articulates in the center

5. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

tractor has a higher clearance so it tends to not bottom out as fast
    so it can dig deeper before u need to be pulled out
    i have gotten both stuck and had both on same job and tractor would go places skid wouldn't due to depth of mud
    we can beat this to death and still get nowhere

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

It all depends I had the JCB 4x4x4 I ran up to the axles in mud and it worked its way though it. A skid steer I think once its bottomed out and the tires dig 4 holes its down for the count.

On hills and slopes a machine on tracks is far better I had the JCB on slopes and let me tell you your but cheeks are clenched pretty tight. You learn the capabilities of the machine your on but backhoes and tractors are tippy. Let me tell you I was working on one job decending a slippery slope and the backhoe started sliding sideways I darn near **** my pants I thought she was going to go. The hill was greasy enough if you walked up it your feet would slip and slide.

It all depends on what you want to do with the machine.

7. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

I cannot count the wheeled skidsteers I have pulled up hills and around jobsites with my Kubota.

8. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

GravelRat...been there too! Best one for me was when the sand bank caved in underneath my machine....coulda stayed there and flipped over down the hillside or just gun it and ride the slide out to the bottom.....my thinking now is that if the question arises about muddy hills and getting stuck, I take my boots off and go sit in my easy chair and watch Oprah.....what I'm sayin' is, better safe than sorry and if it looks risky, it probably is and I'd rather have some other cowboy do it.......

9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The road was fine in the morning but we had a rain shower and the little bit of clay turned to grease :eek:

Nothing beats a machine on tracks like they say if its got **** or tires your going to have troubles with it :laugh:

10. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

the reason i asked this question is it seems i am running into a ***** in the armor of my B300. it has skid steer tires front and back. i notice on hills the traction isn't great. just wondering if a conventional compact Tlb would do better with the larger rear tire. it does do well side sloping. just doesn't seem to articulate very much at all. thanks for the replies.