Tractor Throwing Sparks?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by FearThisDeere, Sep 16, 2007.

1. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I was using my Deere today to grade my indoor riding ring. I just happened to notice that a few (maybe 3 or 4) spark flew out of the exhaust pipe. No real big deal, but I was just wondering if this is common or something that should concern me. It only has 290 hours on it.

2. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

Very common. Low hours, a lot of idle time will coke up the pipe and when its under load, it will throw sparks. No big deal as you stated.

3. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

no big deal at all, our 4700 does it and our older 4020 does it too when under load...you normaly only see it when its dark but it happens more then you think...its just most times its light and you cant tell...actually it can be a problem for some applications, that is why some newer small Deere tractors have the option of vertical exhaust pipes, or spark arrestors.

4. FearThisDeere

Thanks guys! I just wanted to check. I remember seeing a few when I was plowing at night over the winter but never even thought twice about it. It was darker where I was working, so that must have been why I saw them. I nice chrome stack is in the tractor's future anyways. I need to find one first!

5. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

good luck routing a chrome stack from the bottom of the manifold through the swinging hood an that 4000 series deere...it might be more hassle then its worth

6. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

I see there is a vertical exhaust option on the 4000 series tractors. Under the hood of my 4120 there is a spot that is marked where the hole should be cut for a vertical exhaust, but my question is how in the heck does the hood open right with a vertical exhaust?

7. FearThisDeere

Thats my problem! :cry:

8. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey fear, on my JD the exhaust comes down right by the front differential and points forward. I got tired of smelling diesel fumes all day so i cut the pipe off right below the bracket almost to where it bends and turned the outlet around so that it points back toward the rear tire. I noticed it was cooler and cleaner smelling after doing just that.

9. FearThisDeere

Thanks KTO. I'm going to have to think about doing that. The fumes really get to me after a few hours of plowing.