Tractor vs Large ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RickyDanner, May 15, 2008.

1. RickyDanner

RickyDanner LawnSite Member

First time posting, currently I do residential and small commercial property maintenance. I have just received a property to maintain that is 7 acres of undeveloped land. This is the only property I have of this sort. My question is 2 fold.

1. Would you guys use a large ZTR 61" or a small tractor with a brush mower on the rear?

2. Which investment do you think has better long term possibility for ROI?

This property is flat and will be mowed on an every other week basis. I am not only looking to purchase either piece of equipment for this property but also future properties that might come available.

Any input or different points of view will be greatly appreciated.

2. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

Personally I would reccomend renting a tractor to bush hog it first if it is way overgrown small trees and such. If it not that overgrown then buy a 61 or 72 inch mower with a big diesel on it. This will power through very thick and tall stuff. I love scag for this type of stuff because they are built like rocks I can not break mine. Good luck to you.
  3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

99% of the time a ZTR is the hands down winner. It will save you a "lot" of time in the smaller accounts also. A ZTR is much more productive (power, speed, maneuverability, etc). I don't know the size of your residentials but get one that will be the right size for them. If you have a WB then you could get a little larger Z but if the Z is going to be your primary mower think very hard on deck size before you commit. I would not buy on the basis of one large lot.
  4. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I would suggest that you buy a ztr. You don't have to buy new, you can find a good used one for half the price of a new one. And if you do buy one get one that will be able to handle all of your properties. For example if you were to buy a 72in you would probably not be able to use that on many residentials, but if you bought a 52''-54'' mower it would be able to handle most residentials and be able to finish the 7 acres in a under 3 hours. Honestly renting gets to be very expensive, I had to rent a mower for 4 hours one day while my mower was getting worked on, and it cost me about $100 just for the 4 hours. So really think about buying one before you start renting.
  5. RickyDanner

RickyDanner LawnSite Member

Renting is not cost effective around here. For what it cost to rent a day or by the 4 hours, I can make a payment for the month. I will be doing this on a regular basis so I have ruled out renting. Thanks for the input so far and look forward to what else people have to say.

6. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

If you can use the tractor to get alot of other work, go with that. If your not into that the z turn would be better.
  7. scchamblee

scchamblee LawnSite Member

ZTR all the way. Got one I` will sell you.