tractor vs. zero turn questions

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by mdub, Jul 16, 2004.

1. mdub

mdub LawnSite Member

I originally posted this in the "Tractors" forum, before I realized there was a "Homeowner" forum (should have paid more attention...)
    I've been lurking for a short while trying to learn a few things from all the past posts and now I have a question...
    For my own, personal, non-commercial residential use, I'm looking for advice between two entirely different machines. My situation:
    First, I have 1/2 acre of turf to mow
    Second, I prefer to mulch
    Third, I will bag in the fall when my many full-grown trees drop LOTS of leaves
    Finally, although I enjoy my "thinking time" as much as anyone, I prefer to get my mowing done as quickly as possible so I have more time with the family
    Having said all that, I'm looking at either buying a JD L110 or similar 100 series...or a Country Clipper Jazee One. I know they are both very different machines and that the Jazee is over a grand more. I assume that the Jazee will make my work a much quicker task, even with the smaller deck (I believe it's 38" vs. 42" for the JD) - is this a correct assumption? I'd really like to know if anyone can comment from experience on which machine will do a better job mulching (i.e., less visible clippings, etc.). I have not seen much on this in past ZTR post threads...Any other advice is certainly welcome (along the lines of durability, serviceability, other options, etc.). I'd really appreciate any feedback.

2. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

See my reply to your initial post.
  3. voeg

voeg LawnSite Member
    from KS.

mdub, I had a JD LX 188 and traded it for a Hustler Fastrak 18/44 which I like very much. The only thing I do not like about it is that my yard has some hills on it, and the fastrak does not handle them as well as my old mower did. I have one hill that I have to go down on, and I always make sure I am pointed right when I start down it because with the new cut grass under the tires it will not stop till it reaches the bottom. Even if I try to stop the machine will just slide to the bottom. Dan
  4. bantam

bantam LawnSite Member
    from iowa

ALL ZTR's are not created equal in the ability to handle side-hills. Some are really, really good and some are not. If you can try several makes on your property before you decide.
  5. JHE

JHE LawnSite Member

I just went from a Gravely 50" to a Hustler 60" for my lawn. Incredible time savings and the cut is much better. My vote is for the Z. You can even get a trailer hitch for most of them to pull your garden cart, Broadcast fertilizer, etc.