1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tractor vs ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Deere Fan, May 27, 2005.

1. Deere Fan

Deere Fan LawnSite Member

I need some advise from all of those experienced commercial mowers out there. I currently mow a 5.5 acre tract that is for the most part wide open. The only triming is around the house which has gently curving concrete landscape curbing with a mower edge built into it. The land has been used as a hay crop for years and has some smooth areas and some rough as well . . . about half and half. I am currently mowing with a 2003 X475 John Deere with a 54" deck. I must say that I am a Deere fan as I have had several over the years and this X475 gives me the comfort and cut that is second to none. My current mowing time is about 3 to 3.5 hours. I am considering a zero turn in order to cut that time on the mower and need some expert advise. I have been looking at a John Deere 797 midmount, a Grasshopper 727/61" frontmount, a Grasshopper 327/61" midmount, and a Woods frontmount w/61" MX deck. Which of these mowers would give me the best cut, smoothest ride, and save the most time. I am willing to pay the 9 - 10 G's it take to get what I want with one of these mowers.

RKISTNER1 LawnSite Member

Ck out the JD F687 + 7 iron 60" deck. I love mine the flip deck sold me.
  3. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

Gosh if you are spending that much go for a 72" z turn......Toro has a good 72" mower. I would look into that.