tractor w/ bucket

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pines, Feb 12, 2004.

1. pines

pines LawnSite Member

Does it make sense to use a rider diesel tractor w/ a 62" deck and bucket as your "rider" mower along w/ a 21" push for those places I can't get to. The bucket will allow me to perform other tasks ....mulching, garden prep etc. or is it worth looking at a zero turn? Just wondering if it will be to cumbersome to move or is it worth looking at because of the other things it can provide.I had this displayed on another thread but apparently you could not open the link...sorry about that.
  2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i think the weight of the bucket up front will make some nice ruts over the course of the season.
  3. pines

pines LawnSite Member

Yeah I have thought about that and it does concern me
  4. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Go with a zero turn. You will be much quicker and get all the places you need to. Then just get whats left with string trimmer. Yes a front loader is great for mulch jobs and lifting stuff, but it would be too cumbersom on mowing properties. I have a compact tractor with a front loader and only mowing I do with it is bushogging
  5. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

hello, we need more info, what size lawns do you mow? are they open. if you do large properties greater than 1 acre with no fences or obstacles then that might be reasonable for you. however having a bucket can get in the way quickly when mowing. also as said above can leave ruts. also u might want to request having this moved to the tractor forum. good luck. scottie
  6. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I think the time in labor saved after a while with a Z mower would equal to a nice nice down payment on a tractor for those other tasks you would like to accomplish. No reason why you cant have both toys:)
  7. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I was in that same situation when I started my business. All I had to mow with was a 21 inch mower and a diesel tractor with a brush mower and front end loader.

I considered getting a belly mower for the tractor, but it's an awful lot of machine to be hauling around, and it's not nearly as manueverable as a Zero-turn (but with a hyro transmission, the tractor does pretty well).

So I say go with a Z and a wheelbarrow for now, or a walk-behind,depending on lawn size in your area.

BTW - Most loaders come off pretty easily, so you wouldn't have to run around with it on for mowing. Mine comes off in about a minute flat.