Tractor Weight: How Important?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Ursushorribilus, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Ursushorribilus

Ursushorribilus LawnSite Member

While test driving at the local Mahindra dealership the other day the dealer kept telling me that Mahindra tractors were significantly heavier than comparable models in other brands. He told me that heavier tractors perform better and are safer than lighter tractors, and that all things being equal with hp, the heavier tractor was a better one. Is this all true?

2. bnrhuffman

bnrhuffman LawnSite Member

Most of what you do with a tractor involves lifting or pulling. The front end loader of most any tractor will easily lift the rear of the tractor off the ground or even flip it over and most any tractor will run out of traction before running out of power. So yes, your limiting factors are ballast and traction. Most people prefer to add weight to it by filling the tires, using wheel weights or adding a ballast box to the 3point hitch to get more capability out of their loader or get better traction.
    I wouldnt say the heaviest tractor is the best. I would say that theoretically, all other things being equal, it should be able to lift more and pull more than a lighter one.