Tractor

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wch&g, Dec 27, 2000.

1. wch&g

wch&g LawnSite Member
    from MA

I'm Thinhking Of buying a tractor with a loader and backhoe and I was hoping to get some opinions on what brand and why?

Please help me decide

Thanks

2. steve

steve LawnSite Member

3. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

4. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

What are you going to use it for?
    How deep do you have to dig?
    Need to know before we can recommened a machine.

5. wch&g

wch&g LawnSite Member
    from MA

I,m not sure yet but I thinking of digging up to 10' so I could do perc tests maybe some title 5 inspections, trenching, brush hog, rototilling as many things as I can.

thanks

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

If you want to go 10 ft-you need a minimum of 43+HP,or preffeably a Catagory 2 tractor,or Backhoe/Loader like a Case 580 or JD 3-410.If it will be a dedicated amchine and you have a 9 or 10 ton tralier and a single axle (min) air braked dump truck,and CDL A.then by all means gey the JD or Case-the both weigh around 7-9 tons depending on options and 2-or 4wd,so you cant pull then with a 1 ton or even a an F550.A smaller lighter compact tractor could do the job,but not nearly as quickly or efficiently as the bigger machines.Evrn the biggest compacts weigh around 7-8K with the loader and hoe.So you could get by with a 1 ton truck with that setup,although 10 ft will be tough to dig,take all day literally if it is rocky or full of shale.

7. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

I havn't found the need for a TLB, but then I find that a skid loader, bare tractor, and mini excavator work better for us. Now days with smaller yards, getting into these places can be hard with larger equipment. If you need a TLB then buy a full size Case unit with a detactable backhoe (580) and get the thre point option with it, that way you can change over as you need it.

8. wch&g

wch&g LawnSite Member
    from MA

Thanks Paul,

I agree that small is better these days

What do you think of a Kubota L3710 with a 9' back hoe?