1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Tractors and Mulch

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by danslawncare, Apr 3, 2006.

1. danslawncare

danslawncare LawnSite Member

Do any of you use bigger tractors 30-40hp for mulch installs. I have but clients don't seem to like them on smaller yards. By small i mean 10,000 sq.ft.

2. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I have never used a tractor to do mulching. Like you said, the customers do not like that big of equipment on smaller yards. The frequent turns will tend to not only flatten the grass, but also dig it up. I have used my tractor to spread wood chips on a long road, but that is it.

3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

I had rented a Deere to move soil for a burm and then mulch on top, and to use at another job box scraping. Lets just say tractors are ment for farms!

4. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

My primary business is lawn care, has been for decades. We use tractors for everything from installing granite to spraying athletic fields, to blowing snow! Tractors are meant for farms is a FOOLISH statement!

5. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

Your taking my statement literally, tractors are too long, bad turning radius and have slow hydraulic dump cycles. They certainly have their place -spraying an athletic field is a good one, but maneuvering around 5k-25k yard is not. Look at the original post USING LARGE TRACTORS ON 10K LAWNS.

6. danslawncare

By large I ment it's 10ft long, and 3700 pounds. The only thing i'm not sure about is the industrial tires on it. Also, all lawns it will be used on are over 10k.

7. 021462

021462 LawnSite Member

danslawncare, I would be scared to use one that large. The reason I can say that is I use a JD2305 (24hp) to move mulch in yards and I am very careful. If I go in the same direction too much it will lay down the grass. However it is a lifesaver when I can use it.:)
    [​IMG]

8. danslawncare

Are you running turfs or industrials?

9. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Careful is the key word here. My New Holland TC33DA has been a blessing when it comes to large mulch jobs. NO MORE WHEEL BARROWS! If somebody wants mulch without allowing the tractor, HUGE price increase. payup

My tires are the R4 industrials. Good grip with no slippage. Like 021462 said, don't keep running over the same path and reschedule the job if the ground recently got a good rain soaking.:)

10. 021462

021462 LawnSite Member

I'm running R4's Industrial, I had to choose one or the other ($) and I figured R4's would be the best one choice in case we get snow. With snow the R4's would dig in better I think. A friend of mine ordered a Kioti with the turf tires and he also ordered a set of R4's on wheels and it cost him $1,000.00 extra. ;)