1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tractors and Mulch

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by danslawncare, Apr 3, 2006.

1. danslawncare

danslawncare LawnSite Member

thats a big plus!!!
  2. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I have used my terramite t7 (25hp) doin one mulching job. The lawn was not sodded yet so it was no big deal to have the tractor there. Btw never buy a terramite the suck wicked badd.
  3. 021462

021462 LawnSite Member

I can't seem to find anybody in my state that is willing to pay that kind of money for mulch work, I guess you are just the lucky one.:confused:
    You move mulch anyway you want to partner.:rolleyes:
  4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

You know, on a rainy day a few days ago, I crunched some numbers and its not that impossible to make $400 an hour mulching. It just requires speed (efficiency) achieved by having 3 guys working and/or some piece of equipment to move it faster. Take a look, page 2 #17: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=140568&page=2

if olderthandirt is moving 5.7 yards/hr with his set-up than he is making the money.
  5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Look a little harder because there everywhere.

I can dig a 1/4 acre pond 8 ft deep and charge a guy $3000 and spend a whole yr with a shovel and a wheel barrow doing it. Or I can bring in an excavator and dozer and do 2 of them a day. After expenses I still make $3000 :dizzy: :dizzy:

I explained how to spread mulch with out the use of a tractor and to do it efficiently. I charge $70 a yd for mulch and I pay $13. 2 guys can spread 8-10 yds per hr. the only forking they do is to spread the mulch from the small trailer. [that dumps] And there making that money while its to wet to use a tractor. If you insist on a pick up truck and a wheelbarrow you will never find anyone "willing to pay that kind of money for mulch work"

You happy working for less or you want to become efficient and charge for it?
  6. 021462

021462 LawnSite Member

$70.00 a yard! Man I need to move to your area. Here the going rate is $35.00 to $38.00 a yard and we pay $14.00 a yard for it. Believe me when I say nobobdy, and I mean nobody around here will pay $70.00 a yard for mulch. I don't care if you spread it with a tractor or a little dump trailer on wet grass. If I tried to charge $70.00 a yard for mulch I would not get any work. I tried to go up to $40.00 per yard this year and lost my first three jobs I bid on. It ain't got nothing to do with being happy making less partner,:nono: it's just a fact that you have to charge what the going rate is around here or you find another line of work.
  7. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

Mac, If I'm reading this right your mulch trailer is a pretty good size to hold 3yds even with 4' sides. It must be as long as the width of your dump truck or am I being thick skulled. Really neat way of moving mulch. Thanks Matt
  8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

its 8' long 4' wide and 4' tall, it hold almost 4 yds of mulch when filled although we don't fill it quite to the top. We use a board in the corner of the dump when were loading it to funnel the mulch into the trailor because its a little longer than the truck is wide. And I have a set of wood ramps that we put under the rear wheels of the dump to get it high enough to avoid any shoveling or forking out of it into the trailor.
  9. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Mac. Neat system. Matt
  10. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

I have Industrials, R4's I think.

They do suprisingly well, although I would not do harsh turns, or even use the tractor at all with these tires if the ground was too soft, or if they did tear up turf.

You can see the tractor in the picture forum, where I state that I brought home the NH TC35DA. Its buried there somewhere.