tractors

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by tthomass, Aug 17, 2006.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I see some landscapers on here and out working with the Kubotas. My question......WHY?

Isn't a skid steer or track machine much better? Examples being grading, traveling on grade, loadind, ease of use and manuvering etc........

I grew up on a farm and using a big Massey Ferguson that we've still got.......I just don't see tractors being more useful than a skid steer for landscaping purposes.

Input??

2. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe they cant afford one. Or there is a old guy here in town that still uses one. I asked him why didnt he have a skid steer and he said when your 65 years old its hard to climb in those things. Does that answer your question??

3. tthomass

from N. VA

no because there aren't many senior citizens that are still active in the field doing installs

a good size tractor vs skid steer...........same $, even if its a few grand you have to think about how much more profitable a skid would be for overall production........or so how i think

4. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Not always. A compact tractor with a 3 point, a univeral attachment for the last 40 years, 50 if you used a Ford.

IMO you can do more with a tractor. A skid loader might be faster for some jobs.

5. tthomass

from N. VA

"A compact tractor with a 3 point, a univeral attachment for the last 40 years, 50 if you used a Ford"

sorry but i can't follow what you're saying???

6. Birdhunter1

Birdhunter1 LawnSite Senior Member

What he is saying is there is alot of 3 pt. equipment out there to fit these smaller tractors that is easier and cheaper to come by than the same stuff on a skidsteer.

And for some folks who have been on a tractor our whole lives on teh farm we are more "able" with a tractor than a skidloader. A buddy of mine can do about anything with a bobcat, he's been on them the better part of his life, now put him on a tractor and he's lost, he'll admit it. Now put me in a bobcat and I'd be almost as lost as he is on a tractor, whereas I'd be right at home in/on a tractor.
    Plus to get into a tractor with a roto-tiller, boxbade,bushhog, loader and post hole digger is cheaper than to get into a skidloader with a brush cutter, tiller, post hole digger and bucket.

7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I'd say this is where it's at.
    Tractor implements are quite easy to find and readily available at lower cost versus a skid.

8. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

The lower cost of attachments was a big factor in buying a tractor for us, we bought a 6' bushhog, 72" tiller, 72" boxblade and a rake for less than the tiller would cost for our bobcat, Even if the tiller was used. We run both skid loaders and a tractor and they both do certain things better than the other. We got our New Holland with a front end loader and our working on getting the hydraulics plumbed so that we can use all our skidloader attachment on the tractor. I would love to use the grapple bucket on the front of tractor and have the bushhog on the back for clearing brush.

9. srl28

srl28 LawnSite Bronze Member

I hate skidsteers, they are heavier, more likely to tip over, rips up turf, just a hassle in my mind. I'd rather have a compact tractor loader any day.

10. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

I've had some of both and currently own one of each, they both have their place. I'd rather mow or till on a tractor and I'd very much rather load trucks or move larger volumes of dirt in a skid steer.