Trade Air time (advertisment) for mowing grass at station???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JShe8918, Apr 10, 2008.

1. JShe8918

JShe8918 LawnSite Senior Member

Our local radio station owner is friends with my mother and he made me an offer. The offer was that i mow the stations yard every week and that he would give me 2 30 second slots per day between 7-8 AM and 5-7 PM. Would you consider doing this... The yard is about a 1.5 hour to 2 hour job with two people on it. All the parents and people going to work listen to this channel in the morning. Announces all of the info for school at these times.... Not but about 7 other stations are even reachable from here. What do you think?
  2. JShe8918

Oh.... Forgot to add that it is to be done every week...
  3. wheels910

wheels910 LawnSite Member

depends on a lot of things.

1. Do you have the extra time to mow, or are you full.

2. Are they going to let you change your commercial a set number of times a month, or the same all year long.

3. What are the normal rates for the time slot.

4. I'd make sure they know the advertising trade is for set services only, anything extra will be extra.

I'd say go for it if it's a popular radio station. No harm in trying for a season. You can always tell em no next year and bid it if you didn't like the way it turned out.

GOOD LUCK!!!
  4. wheels910

wheels910 LawnSite Member

forgot to add

if its 2 slots between 7-8 and 2 more between evening times, go for it.

if its 1 morning and 1 evening, I might think a little harder or at least ask him for a third slot. just explain to him what your services cost hourly and try to be fair.
  5. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

This is very easy to figure out...

A) How much would this advertising cost if you paid $ for it?

B) How much would you charge to mow this account if they paid $ for it?

C) Would you advertise on this station if this deal didn't come up?

If A and B are close and you answered "Yes" to question C, then absolutely. Otherwise, no. Question C is the biggest decider. If you wouldn't normally advertise on the radio or this station then you aren't really getting paid.
  6. JShe8918

Honestly that is how it came about. I went to him and asked him the cost of a advertisement slot and that is when he made the offer. My friends dad pays @50 per slot for his wrecker service. And no it is only 2 slots per day. One morning one evening. Yes among adults it is the number one radio station in the area. Maybe number two due to another big country station. It is hard for me to decide. Yes i can take more and are willing to take more but no i don't have to have them.... Plus how many people will actually hear it if it is only 1 minute of 1440 minutes per day. How many people will hear it. Listening area of like 25,000 people and only 15,000 of them are close enough to consider. Then if 200 people per day hear it. How many will actually call. Has anyone else had success with a radio advertisement and if so would you recommend it? Thanks.....
  7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Out of the radio stations in Minneapolis / St. Paul, I'm always hearing ads for fertilizer companies, landscape companies, maintenance companies.

My only thought have been, these radio waves can be heard for about 100 miles in any direction.

How can you nail down a service route at that rate?

Anyways, sure, we have more local stations, and if that's what you're talking about, then sure.
  8. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

At $50 per slot, and 2 times a day would normaly cost u $500.00 a week. If its 2 hrs a week for mowing. Ya I would do it. If u get $80 an hr for your service, you would only be paying $160 for the ads.
  9. JShe8918

But do ya'll think there will be a logical return from that.
  10. Two Rivers

Two Rivers LawnSite Member
    from East TN

Let me give you the inside on scoop on this.. I bush hog for the local radio station for $600.00 per cut. 2-3 times a year. It pays for spring, fall, winter adverting at my garden center for 4weeks at a time.. It takes me about 5hrs per cut.. Its a hassal to drag the bushog around for half a day But its well worth it...
    Also my girlfriend is the sales rep for the station. But my agreement was made before we started dating.. Understand this it take little to no money to do a 30sec spot on the radio.. And they will always drop spot cost trust me i've been ito for 2years..

DO IT!!!