1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trade in or sell myself ??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AboveTheCut, Mar 5, 2006.

1. AboveTheCut

AboveTheCut LawnSite Member

I purchased a Exmark Lazer Z AS 52" with the ultra cut deck and 23 HP Kohler last year around this time. I only have 129 hours on it. I looked at the new 56" Lazer HP with the 27hp Kohler and the new Triton deck. I am very impressed with the changes they made to this machine. I wish this was out when I purchased but it wasn't. I would like to either sell or trade mine and get the new one. However, I am afraid of getting screwed. I read posts where people pay insane prices for older models with tons of hours. Any suggestions on how I should go about this or how much I should try to get without putting myself in the poor house. Thanks.
  2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I think you should sell yourself
  3. Jcs Lawn and Landscape

Jcs Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Member

sell it yourself dealers always will screw you so they can make the profit
  4. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Definatly try to sell it yourself, you will probably get much more than what the dealer will offer you. Heck, you might even be able to sell it using the marketplace forum on this site.
  5. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I plan to sell my mowers rather than trade in, based upon what my dealer told me I could expect on trade. He flat out told me if I had the luxury of time (I do) I would be better off to sell it myself.
  6. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with the other guys, sell it yourself. Otherwise you will take a big loss so your dealer can make money off of it.
  7. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

your dealer might give you $3000.00 for it. you could sell it in 1 day for 3600.00 sell it yourself.
  8. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

I think you might want to hold on to it for another year or so because you probably get the same amount for it with 400 hrs..
  9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

One of the advantages of trading it in is you get the value of the mower up front. If you sell it yourself you will get more but it could take a while to sell.
  10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Pros and cons both ways so you have to know what its worth. If you trade it in you will pay less tax on the purchase from the dealer as the end price will be reduced therefore less tax. If you can sell it for more than you can save it is great but how long will it take you to sell? Give e-bay a try but remember that there are fees to selling there also. You can also put it on this site for free and see if you get any hits. Good luck.