Trade in Scag V-Ride for Toro Grandstand??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Joel B., Jul 11, 2014.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

OK, here's the deal, I have a V-ride with about 50 hours on it and for the most part I like it. Some things I don't like:

Controls are quite stiff and jerky, hard on the turf sometimes.

Operator platform a little small.

This machine is scary on hills!!

While the VR was in for service, I had a GS for a loaner and wow what a difference in controls. The GS controls are SOOOOO much smoother which results in much less turf damage. I also like the larger operator's platform. I haven't used it on all of the hills I mow, but it did perform better on the ones I have used it on.

I liked the controls so much better I'm thinking about trading in the VR for a GS.

So the big questionÂ…should I?

Thanks.

2. tundraman

tundraman LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, but it will cost you money to make the trade. If you can make up for it in productivity and comfort go for it.

3. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Bronze Member

Try taking the front weight off of the vride. It will much better on banks. What size vr?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Marshmallow

Marshmallow LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

I love my v ride but some people like their cucumbers pickle...
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Joel B.

from MN

52"
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Joel B.

from MN

???
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. ryno23

ryno23 LawnSite Member

Wish you was closer. I'd probably trade u my 60" toro z for it.

8. Marshmallow

Marshmallow LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

Check out the exmark as they have special controls on the new vantage series mowers.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. PicturePerfectLawns

PicturePerfectLawns LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with tundra. If you can afford it, make up for it in productivity, and be more comfortable, go for it. If you can't afford it or don't have plenty of "extra" cash around, I'd stick to what you have. I just tried to do a trade-off. Winded up having to sell private. My brand new mower had less then yours on hours (35 hours). Even with 35 hours the dealer will still rob you. So then you have another question to answer, will it be worth the hassle and time?

10. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

There are other guys on the forum who own your machine. Hopefully, some of them will chime in and offer some tips to get the most out of your machine. Several vride owners have mentioned removing the weight and how it helped with hillside handling.