Trade in value

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by BrandonV, Nov 24, 2007.

1. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey guys, I'm really running it around in my head and I think I might want to trade in my 287B skid which I got in fall 2004. and possibly upgrade to the 297C model. question is what kind of value would i get out of it? just put new tracks on about 50hrs ago and it had about 1200hrs. i love this tractor to death but I could use the extra weight cap and also I am trying guess what a good trade in value would be. and also if anyone has a 297 is the online msrp true to what they're going for? or are they making some deals?

2. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

What did you pay new?

I figure on (and my local Bobcat dealer does the same) every 100 hours on the meter you loose 1000 bucks in value, but new tracks bump the price back up to almost 90% of what they are new. Then it's just a matter of subtracting some $$$ for dents and dings and overall look of the machine.

I did that with my T190 and I got exactly what I wanted for resale value.

3. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ouch, I have about 2100 hours on my Deere. Granted it is a skid steer but I know it's worth more than three or $4,000 thousand. I don't think that number is that accurate.

4. bobcat_ron

Oh, forgot to mention, that equation might be just for the tracked loaders out there, seems that an average track loader can depreciate $10,000 a year off the dealer's yard up here.

5. BrandonV

so off your theory my then $50k 287b minus 12k (1200hrs) should put me in around $40k trade in? I personally think that might be a little high? maybe more like 30, though i did just put on new tracks. and like i said it has a been a perfect gentleman in operation

6. BrandonV

and going off cat's online msrp i'm looking a $75k w/ ac and cab. is that what everyone else is hearing? i tell you steel prices must of have gone up :)

7. bobcat_ron

$40K seems reasonable, more like $45 if all the service work can be shown on paper from the dealer, but you can always ask to get the amount you want and those CAT reps always bend themselves over backwards, especially a CAT to CAT deal.

8. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

75....no way....I got a new 297C and traded a 247B in on it.....I really like it except the idlers are already falling apart..(bad bonding to from rubber to steel) is what there telling me..already a recall out on it...

9. BrandonV

well i sent in for a quote, you think the 297 is worth trading up for?

10. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Try one out and decide....my 257B was a POS and CAT gave me a great deal on the 297C, no where near what some on this site have been quoted, I won't talk numbers...but I really like the 297...I liked the Deere 332 almost as well, if it had pilot controls...it was a beast in the dirt....my 297 is as strong, the cab is great, and I just bought the factory stero to install:laugh:..just waiting for direct t.v. to make a dish and drop down screen...then I;m set..:weightlifter: