Trade show help!

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Landscapes8988, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Fiano Landscapes

Fiano Landscapes LawnSite Member

Here are a couple more photos.

P3160336.jpg

DSCF0271.jpg

P3160334.jpg

2. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Wow, that is a beautiful display. I hope you generated a lot of work off that one.

3. Fiano Landscapes

We did generate alot of business off of it. Not to mention that now that we won the Belgard Challenge, we get the booth space portion of things this year for free. That saves us about $4,000 this year for our booth space.

4. Landscapes8988

Landscapes8988 LawnSite Member

Hey Fiano, looks great how did you raise the display up without fill?

5. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

When doing hardscape displays, you can't raise it up without fill. You build em just like you would at a customers house. There are no shortcuts when doing home show displays like this. It is a ton of work with very limited time with everybody in your way fighting for the same doorway or corridor. Give yourself plenty of time for setup with all hands on deck. Your material staging and planning has to be incredibly good if you are going to tackle a large display like this.

6. Landscapes8988

Landscapes8988 LawnSite Member

so your telling me that the show people are gonna let me bring in fill? I didn't think they would. however they didn't say i couldn't. See this is my problem, i only get one day to set up and they won't allow my equipment there. only get 2 hours of forklift time from them! This is why i am asking for help. Hell if i could do some of the work i've done in the past 8 years inside a show i'd be golden.

7. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

I've never built a water feature for a home show. My plan if I do a show ever again is to od a raised bed and you use sand bags to form the walls in a pond and waterfall situation. If your good with lumber you can build a raised area with framing but the weight of some paver and block limit your size.

Although I hate homeshows for the fact of the reasons above and the running around aspect.

8. Fiano Landscapes

We actually have about a week to set everything up inside. The display is also not quite the same as you would perform in the field. We built the walls around the booth space, and used plastic sheeting almost like a liner. Then we filled the entire thing in with sand. There is actually about 32" of sand below the entire thing. We used 3 crew members to build this display. We were going to bring more in, but they would have been in the way. It does sound though like I have alot more time than you do, so you might have to bring in every available hand to help. Hopefully you have really good success with your show. It presents great oportunity, if used correctly.

9. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Beautiful display Fiano, you must have mucho denero in that display. No website in your profile, do you have one? With the quality of your work you need to get one.

10. Fiano Landscapes

We only have a coming soon page right now. The people building our site are supposed to start in the next couple neeks on building it, They said it would take about 6-8 weeks to complete. You are dead on though websites are super important to our industry. Not only having one, but a very nice an easy to navigate one as well. Thanks for your compliments also! I think we ended up with about $12,000 invested in this display. It is a very big commitment.