1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trade Show/Home Show Participation?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Hawkeye5, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

The local Chamber of Commerce is sponsoring a Home Show March 8 and 9, the first for the community (40,000 population). It is to showcase businesses that offer products and services related to homes and homeowners. Marketing plans include extensive publicity and media advertising to promote the show. Cost for a 10' booth is $200, plus participants supply a door prize. I have seen the list of businesses signed up so far (19) and there are no other lawn services to date. Real Estate, Insurance, Carpet, Cabinet, Hardware Store, Roofing Co., Homebuilder, Plumbing, Etc.
    My question is: Have any of you participated in something like this before? If so, was it worth the expense as far as the exposure? I'm considering participating, but would like some feedback from some that may have done something like this in the past.
  2. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

My only question would be.... "Where do I send my $200?". I would not hesitate. Don't be disappointed if you don't have 500 people walk up to you and ask when they can sign up for your service. Sometimes, and maybe in this case, indirect results can pay off for some time to come.
  3. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Sound like a bargin! First one in your area..go for it.
    We set up every year ... I know there is a few threads (with pics ) on this from last year but I can't remember titles to help you narrow the search.
  4. tiffany

tiffany LawnSite Member

Sounds like a great deal! I would go for it, especially since you will have no (or very little) competition. Aside from the obvious possibility of meeting some good prosepcts, you will also have the opportunity to network with other companies that have a similar client base to yours. We have had good results from home shows so far. A hint - make up some kind of sign up sheet for prospects. Don't just give them a card or brochure and let them walk away - get their information so that you can call them. A good way to do this is to offer some kind of giveaway. We went from 30 leads to 300 after applying this, and although some of them were junk, we included a place on the sheet for them to check saying that they were interested in our service. Helped to seperate good and bad leads.
  5. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

my old roomate did that last year. we shared an appartment and approximately same sized business's. He just bought a huge 5 bedroom house on the beach. All because of that home show. See if your dealer will go halves with you and let you show new equip. I plan on doing it this year and promoting the mowers as well as full service. I like to try and take care of those who take care of me. hehe.
    i say go for it 110%!
  6. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member