1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trade the HP in on a Wright Stander?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by racer56, May 20, 2007.

1. racer56

racer56 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

I have a 19/50 HP with less than 40 hours on it. The thing doesn't give me any problems so I hate to mess with something working but... Some of my properties have some good sized hills and I do them with a 21". Thought was I could cut alot of time by using a stander. I went to K.C. this Saturday to try out the Wright and really like it. I took right to it and it felt good. I wonder if it would bother my knees at the end of the day? Really the only thing holding me back is an all day test I guess and not wanting to take a major punding on trade in of my HP. I can't really see keeping the ZTR when I would mainly be using the stander. I don't have any properties over 4 acres and only have 1 over 3/4 of an acre.
    Any issues with knee or leg problems using the Wright all day long? I don't like giving up the tire size to get the quick adjustment deck so I would get the fixed deck. Should I just keep the Exmark as it is brand new or try and sell it on the open market? Dealer said he would give me 3500 for it trade but can't even think of that.
  2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Sigh.... :( ...... deep breath....

Well, I can assure you the $3,500 trade-in offer is dead on typical....
    Although most of the lawnsite members won't hear of it on a major brand name.

But FACT IS, it is what it is. I've never been offered more than $4,100 on trade-in on a smaller ZTR. And this was exceptional, because it was still new in the crate sitting at the dealer who was going to set it up for me. He could have sold it at full retail with a full 2 year warranty.

So, the way it works is, a dealer is only going to give you so much for a ZTR, because simply they only pay so much for them brand new from the factory/distributor.

If it's not a brand they sell, that cut's it a little.
    If it's used, it's cut a BUNCH.

The reason is simple. As a dealer, they can only put so much into a used machine... and even more true if it's not one of their brands. The reason for this is that otherwise, they sit on it forever and can't get their money back out of it.

Today shoppers will look at a used machine. But if it's not something the dealer can sell cheap where someone can for instance pay for it with a tax return or small personal loan... FORGET IT. It will collect dust and rust first. The reason is that the rest of buyers will instead walk right by it at a higher price and just finance a BRAND NEW ONE with a FULL WARRANTY.

So it has to be in a "pocket cash" price range for the dealer to move it.

At this point you have learned your first lesson about mower resale and trade-in value straight from the school of hard knox. You can't buy ANY brand, use it 40 hours and sell it or trade it for a hundred or so less than you paid for it. Not unless you are EXTREMELY lucky.

I have only seen a few rare cases where someone sold outright and had a great dealer willing to "just handle" any warranty claim for the rest of the period... meaning they just file it like the original owner brought it in and no one is the wiser. But it takes a rare dummy buyer and a really nice dealer that probably knows he's selling you another mower if he does you that favor.

So you can just about bet you are going to loose thousands.

I understand where you are on this.
    I've been in the same boat.

Myself, I decided to just keep the machine and WEAR my loss out of it first rather than take a $5000 loss on a brand new mower by the time all was said and done.

So my advice is to do a lengthy demo of a Wright stander first. I mean a real good demo. Then think on it long and hard. My guess is that if you like it that much... if you find you can justify it at all, it would be easier to justify it as a second mower over taking $3,500 for your new eXmark.

The way I look at it is worst case senario, it is worth FAR more than $3,500 to me to have a new second string use or backup machine sitting there waiting for me. I think you'll see it the same way.

It would be there to give your legs a rest... there to double up on a big job... there to ride a big job... there for an easy to scalp lawn... there for special purpose use like dedicated mulching or bagging... there to cover a breakdown... and the list goes on...................

Let me know what you think of the stander in comparison on slopes.
  3. racer56

from Kansas

Envy, Thanks for the post. I do think you are right as far as keeping it and just buying a stander. I see that Everride is alot less money. I should try that out as well.
  4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Did you try the stander on your hills
  5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, like I said, worth more to a business than that to keep it.

As for the stand-on machines, I think you should try them all and give them all a really hard workout of a demo.

You need to get them all out one at a time, or two at a time...

And you need to cut all sorts of stuff with them until you are sure you have used it to cut any type of growth you are likely to come in contact with. Both good lawns and bad lawns, and everything in between manicured turf and dusty weed patches.

Then run them at length on hills once you get the swing of them. You want to be sure of yourself this time, and sure that you are getting what you are looking for.

It will do you no good to buy a stand-on if it cuts your growth like crap, or won't hang the hills you expect it to cut.

Try them and report back.
  6. mcduff48

mcduff48 LawnSite Member

Test the Everride on a few hills. They won't climb anywhere near as well as the Wright will. It's a built in geometry and balance problem left over from Wright's law suit against Great Dane. Bill Wright allowed Dane Scag to sell a stander to Deere after Dane lost the suit knowing that it had a problem. You usually get what you pay for and in this case it's the ability to handle hills. :usflag:
  7. racer56

from Kansas

I didn't get to try it on a hill but can if I would like. The dealer is really cool with the Wright. I will say I really took right to the thing so that tells me at least the controls are a good fit. The hydros are the smoothest I hae ever felt period. I like the fact that it had a very smooth feel to it. Maybe I'm just used to being very careful with our HP as the hydros on that thing aren't to my liking. I called Exmark about it and they said reverse was very soft by design :hammerhead: . The Exmark does function well for what this area needs but moving to an area with more landscape and hills I think we need to make a change.
  8. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member