trading equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by champion, Apr 20, 2002.

1. champion

champion LawnSite Member

I was just wondring if anyone has traded equipment for other equipment? Also was it easy to show what you did with the equipment transaction on your year end taxes? thanks
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I trade our WB's in every 2 or 3 years back to my dealer for new ones. Sorry, I don't know off-hand how my accountant handles those transactions with repsect to year-end taxes.

Good point...maybe I had better find out?
  3. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

so rodfather does your dealer then sell usd equipment or what? what kind of resale do you get ut of it, just wondering about doing the same
    AK Lawn
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

He resells them, uses them as loaners too AK, etc. I probably get about 50% or so of the original cost towards a new machine.

It works pretty well for us. I like having a "fresh horse" in front of me. I guess it goes back to the days I was at Hertz and know how PM is so important in our work. After 8 years, I guess I am trying to get to the point of 0% downtime...though a flat tire can happen anytime.

just my 2 cents
  5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

It sure must be nice to have dealers who will take trades. Around here, nobody will take trades of commercial mowing equipment. I think all the dealers in this area are working together to prevent anyone from buying used equipment. If you want commercial mowing equipment around here, it will have to be new, as not one dealer sells used, (except for the occasional garden tractor). It never even shows up at any auctions. :(