Trading mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by willretire@40, Aug 1, 2005.

1. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

How much do get for a z when trading it in if it only has about 200 hours on it. What % of what i paid for it. Husqvarna 48" 18 hp good condition. Looking into getting a 36" stander.

2. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

About half of what you would get selling it out-right by you.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

To be honest with you, after signing the papers, once the mower hits the grass in your name, that particular one instantly falls in trade-in value to about $3,500 and continues to decline as the hours add up.

So I'd say the best offer any dealer would offer you would be $3,000 or less.

4. willretire@40

from VA

Yeah i figure that just like a car. So what do you think i could get by selling it. I mean to sell it fast but still make money. I paid $5,700 retail is $6500.

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I think one sold here for $3,200 or $3,700.
    It was the Yazoo version 18/48 with 142 hours.

6. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

when i am taking a trade in i look the blue book value up then go 30% under that.most times it makes the customer mad.i hate to take a trade in.i will give a better deal on cash
    than you could get with a trade in any day.

7. willretire@40

from VA

8. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

last week I traded my Toro, had 400 hours only, 16 months old, I paid $24000 aussie dollars for it, on trade for a $29000 john deere I got $11000 for it. most other dealers would only pay $8000, shows the local dealer was looking after me, but still I was shocked, thought easy 12k....was in great condition.

best off selling privately, or keeping it as a backup, I wish I could of afforded to keep the toro as a backup....a bloke only has so much money lol!

9. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

go to blue book.com or do a search for it good luck