trading service for perks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mykster, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

Have you traded your services for any kind of perks? The LCO I bought one of my mowers from told me that he took care of an Applebees Resteraunt, they offered free food and drinks instead of payment for as long as he had the acct.

A buddy of mine, who was gonna be a new client told me that he wouldn't need my services because he had to buy this cabin on a lake now from the present owners. But then, he offered to let me and my family stay at this cabin any time as long as he wasn't there in trade for mowing. He's got jetskiis, boat, and other accomidations we are welcome to. Sounds tempting.....

2. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

The bill is $20/cut and we are paid in store credit. The deal is we only do the cutting when we happen to be in the area, no special trip.

The amount of work is about 8-10 minutes. The deli is great and the sandwiches and ice cream are great. Keeps the taxman out on both the income and sales tax end.

We used to buy lunch there anyway, then one day the lady that owns it said her grass guy was un-reliable, and we had a deal.

K.B.

3. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I used to cut a resturaunt that had an are of grass about 5' x 30' which wouldn't have been worth my minumim so I traded for lunch once a week.

I know a guy that cuts a Dobb's and he just keeps a tab. When he needs tires or his truck worked on they barter.

My dad used to own a Shell Station and had a barter system worked out with the local radio station. He traded Gas for Airtime.

It can benefit both parties if the services are needed. What you need to ask yourself is. Will I use it enough to justify the trade. Which I'm sure that's the question you have been kicking around in your head all along.

Soupy

4. totallpm

totallpm LawnSite Member
    from Utah

We do not do many but this works for me

Pizza joint very small next to one of our larger accounts 2 large pizza and soda every week.

Cut one residential $25.00 a week for unlimited use of home in ST George. (golf capital of the area) and buy one get one golf vouchers.

Snow plow for mechanic $75.00 per push straight dollar for dollar trade on mechanical work.

Bakery pays us our fee and gives us about 12 doz fresh bagels each week for my crew.

It works for me.

Kevin Total lpm

5. Pro-Cut Lawns

Pro-Cut Lawns LawnSite Member

Yep...Had a guy Im acquainted with call me and said he didnt have time to mow his lawn this year and wanted to know if I would do it. I have one next door so not a problem. Its a small yard and I can mow it with my 21" JD in a few minutes. Never have to unload the Lazer. He is in business for himself and does Electrical, plumbing and various home repair work. Hes excellent at what he does. So, he goes to pay me the first mow and I barter with him. We keep tabs on what he owes me for mowing and hes going to do some work for me at home, such as putting in new faucets. If I owe him a difference when he does the work, I pay him and we wipe the slate clean and start over. I generally take care of things at home myself, but......... I HATE PLUMBING!!!!!!

6. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

I'm getting back into the business part time after working my way through college doing lawn service. Back then, I had a client who owned a stand alone veterinary clinic. I would do his clinic and home in exchange for veterinary services. We both kept tabs of the costs and would settle up the difference during the annual checkup/shots visit. With two active bird dogs, it turned out to be a very amicable agreement.

7. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

For several years I had a chiropractors office. During the summer months we traded. I got two appointments a month and about a $26 check every month from her.

Another Dr. (MD), used to mow his house, and shovel his side walks at his office. Would trade for Dr. appoinptments. I think I always came out a head, as he would trade me a Dr. visit for one side walk job.

I really think that a guy would have to be careful tho, and make sure every thing is understood before hand. If there are any misunderstands, get them worked out ASAP. With deals like these, things could go sour real fast if not done carefully.

8. Planter

Planter LawnSite Member
    from Utah

Traded a sprinkler system to a lady who cuts my wife's hair. Wife would got get her hair done for free (against the tab) and leave with a check from the lady for $50.00 each time. Lady wanted to trade it down faster, so she did the hair and then paid my wife.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Wow! What a way to get a head! :D (Just a funny - sorry you guys had to hear that!:p ) Anyway, I have a cousin that used to take care of a Bennigan's restaurant, and they used to give him free dinner coupons for all kinds of extra stuff. For instance, he would blow out the back curb of gravel, and they would give him two whole free dinners just for that! He ended up with a whole stack of dinner coupons. That's alot of money!

10. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

Talking to the Bar/Wing Place owner the other day I plow for tabs in winter. She asked how much I'd charge, being a small lawn (15min. cut & 2 pipes & a telephone pole to trim arround, no blow) I said: "Ahh prolly $20 if ya send someone out to pick up after the drunks". She responded with: "How about $25 each time in Tabs, I make someone pick up and pay for any flats?". I'm like sure, Heck I spend that much in there now between Drinks and of cource this being Buffalo, Wings... You guys only think you know what real chicken wings are.... HA