Trading services for services...would you do this?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Grits, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I met a website designer and he said he would be willing to trade my services for his services. What do ya'll think? I have seen his work.....looks good. Thanks!

2. EngineeredLawns

EngineeredLawns LawnSite Member

Is it on the books?

3. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I have done it before and all worked out fine and saved me alot of money. Just make sure you get a contract listing everything you both agree to do.

4. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

We have traded services as well.
    As stated above, make sure you have it in writing as to what you will be providing and what the other party is providing.

5. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Personally,no, I don't like trade and barter. Too much room for interpretation. This person will be sitting at a keyboard while you'll be out in the weather busting your butt. Also, web designers are more numerous than lawn crews, so your time is worth more than their time. If you have to do it, work out exact amounts that you think your prospective services are worth and them just "cancel debt".

6. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

I may trade services for certain things, but web design wouldnt be one of them. From what I've seen here and other places web pages dont really bring you a lot of income. JMO

7. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I get a couple of sign ups a month off my website, a couple a week in the spring. But the real benefit from my point of view is that it cuts down on my phone time, my clients frequently answer their own questions from the FAQ section. And since I list some starting prices I don't get as many of those calls from people who think $10/week is the going rate for lawncare.:hammerhead:

8. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Sorry- I forgot to answer your question. Yes we have traded. Get it all in writing, and make sure it is fair. Web-site design isn't difficult and about everyone and their dog dabbles in it.

9. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I appreciate all the advice. I will have to think this over before I commit to anything.

10. Mr. Vern

Mr. Vern LawnSite Senior Member

And that differs from lawn maintenance...How?

We do lot's of trades and they usually work out well. Everyone of our employees gets a free family membership at a local Racquet Club worth $120/month. We couldn't do that if we weren't able to trade with them. Trades can be great if both parties are honest and fair and are comfortable with the arrangement.