1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trading Services.....Who does it and who has the best story.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by dmc456, Mar 24, 2005.

1. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

Who trades your lawn service for another service in return?

I feel like I just fell out of the lucky tree and hit every branch on the way down. A now new customer, saw my work on a postcard and liked it so much he offered me a very, very nice advertising package for 1 year in exchange for 1 year of lawn service. He told me what this advertising package would run me and I basically told him I could give him the works (aerations, renovation, mowing, weed control, et...) and it still would touch his offer. He basically said don't worry about it, that he would right up the trade agreement "X" advertising in exchange for "Y" services.

This could really make my business grow beyond even my expectations. Oh ya, and if I live up to his expectation, he may do a full story on my business. This advertising will target $500k homes and in my target area.

What is the best offer you have ever been aproached with?
  2. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Hasn't worked for me in the past. Mostly traded landscaping/snowplowing for mechanical work on trucks. I was never satisfied that I got equal value.

Keep us updated on how your situation works out.
  3. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I've done this for the past 2 years for a radio station in town, but I won't be this year. They offered me double the amount in radio advertising in return for work, but the response I've gotten from the advertising has been weak. It's a waste of my resources.
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Did it for storage of my equipment one year. Never again!
  5. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

i know you guys realize those are taxable events, but i just wanted to let others know they should be aware of the irs's bartering rules. :)
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

if you have a link for something on it tony that would be great to read. I love reading up on tax stuff.
  7. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Troy, its simple. Just recognize the two events at their fair market value.
  8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Yeah, I trade a little landscaping each year to a printing company for all my paper needs. So far so good.
  9. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

I traded a landscape job for a York towmotor once, good deal, spent about $500 for a $5k forklift
  10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Why don't you outline the advertising package....I would be interested in what all it detailed?