Tragic Accident For Lawn Technician...

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by The Lawn Crew, Nov 16, 2007.

1. The Lawn Crew

The Lawn Crew LawnSite Member

2. thomsoutdoor

thomsoutdoor LawnSite Platinum Member

That makes some of my bad days look not so bad.
  3. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

That's an old story that has been posted on the site before. While tragic, it is further proof that most people are their own worst enemy. Anyone who's ever owned a PG knows the units don't have brakes and don't fit properly in vans.
  4. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks for reposting it, Lawn Crew.
    I know a company in this town that does exactly the same thing right now with their newer Perma Greens, and I hope someone points them to your post!

I believe that they are actually too ashamed to call themselves a 'lawn care company' among their peers, and hang out with folks on the likes on

I certainly know the business' owner is way to cheap and irresponsible
    to buy the PG Reese hitch carriers, or anything else that could make sense safety-wise for those techs!
  5. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I think the safest way to take your PG off your carrier or out of a truck or van is to put it in neutral and just roll it off without even starting the engine. it looked like this guy must have tried to ride the thing out of the van!
  6. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Those things were NOT designed to be put in vans...
    But this thread was not meant to be an argument,
    so I'll let it be at that.
  7. indyturf

from Indy

I agree with that! but I have seen Lawn Doctor carry them in a van but take them in and out of the side door with a folding ramp. looked like a pretty good set-up. but in any case I think its safer to just roll them out in neutral!
  8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Roll off in neutral! Are you kidding?
    Very scary! I have a hitch carrrier. PG Ultra. When i rolled off, it seemed too fast, really out of control. Brakes barely slowed it down.

So...I had to start in neutral--but--with parking brake on to prevent roll. Then put in reverse gear. But then--it is hard to reach parking brake to release it. If you release it with right foot--you have no foot to stand on brake.

Then--my neutral safety switch corroded and fell off two years ago. Now I start in gear. It does not move until I gun the motor. Works better. Sometimes I stand on the platform. Sometimes I stand on the ground. But I wish it had a good hand brake, like on my 10 speed bicycle.
  9. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I use a reese hitch trailer on my truck and couldn't imagine loading it in a van due to the height of the entry and also just getting it in there (head height).

I would have to agree with Riggle here! I always back my machine off my machine while riding it in gear as it seems to go slower. When in neutral there is nothing to slow it down (gear). I have backed it off in N before and it seemed "out of control" and a little scary to me. I have backed my PG off in gear thousands of times and have never felt scared in any way.

If I ever build another reese hitch....I will have ramps on both sides so I never have to back it off ever. You pull it up on one side and drive it off on the other. I think I seen something like this somewhere or I have heard someone talk about it.

Just seems like a good idea, may be safer and gives you more unloading options (if needed),
  10. indyturf

from Indy

Wow! I have never rode the PG off the carrier. I always roll it off and walk behind it. I have rolled it off in reverse with the engine not running and it rolled of real slow. but I guess what ever works best for you!
    The carrier with 2 sets of ramps is a good idea!