Tragic Accident

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by waltero, Jun 7, 2007.

1. waltero

waltero LawnSite Member

Hey Guys, I found out that a friend of mine was killed by a forklift. We both worked together before getting into landscaping. He started his company a little while before I did, and gave me help when I started mine. He owns a landscaping business as well as a Beer Distributorship. From what I can gather he was using a forklift at the Beer Distributorship while cutting down some branches. I guess the ground wasn't very stable and the machine toppled and crushed him. He was 35-ish and had 4 kids.

He has lots of experience in skids, tractors and excavators, but it appears that he was doing something that he shouldn't have. The amazing part is we all do some things that aren't the safest and most of the time we wake up the next morning.

http://www.wnep.com/Global/story.asp?S=6623796

Be safe out there.

Walter

2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

May God bless that family.......thats rough.

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

How horrible!!!!!

4. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I am saddened to hear about your loss... may the Lord be with his family and friends

5. waltero

waltero LawnSite Member

I just wanted to post this info so that people don't forget how dangerous this equipment can be. I realize that it isn't typical heavy equipment that is talked about in this forum but he was a landscaper, and a good operator of the other types of equipment. It was actually a very small fork lift compared to most so it wasn't very intimidating, it almost looked like a kid could operate it. Most people have forks for the tractor or skid so people can relate to this kind of work.

We all get comfortable around the equipment and start to take chances. That is the first and worst mistake that can happen.

Again this post is just to remind everyone how dangerous even the smallest of equipment could be and hopefully help to keep someone safer.

Walter

6. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

I worked in facility maintenace for years. I was a certified operator and trainer, for both propane and electric. Had a guy pinch off two fingers on one hand. Dock guy backed one right off 48" dock and some how landed right side up with a minor head injury. We used them for alot of high up work and what not, but we had safety cage and the unit must be level.
    Bless his family and him.

7. Dano50

Dano50 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the reminder. What a horrible accident. Certainly makes you think.

8. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry to hear about that. I just found out last night at work that one of our security guards (19 years old) died in a car crash. He was probably one of the nicest people I had ever met.
    May God Bless there families.

9. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Great point.

Thank you for sharing. I know it doesn't lessen the pain of the loss.