Tragic Weekend

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by carl28, Jul 23, 2001.

1. carl28

carl28 LawnSite Member

Need to share this with you all so you can see how close to home it is.

Saturday afternoon we finished up relitively early for us around 3:00p.m. came home and showered grabbed a bite to eat and took the wife and baby out for an ice cream. Got home around 6:00 and was just settling into my recliner when my neighbor started pounding on the door. Awnsering the door Terri yelled turn on the t.v. quickly flipping on the local news station I saw a site that turned my stomach my primary competitor and former employer of 5 years was losing his entire buisness to a huge fire
    His 40x160 foot barn and retail landscape supply store was fully engulfed in flames. Having worked for the company as its lead foreman for five years I had grown a special attachment to not only thier Buisness but thier family often sharing meals and beer. As quickly as legaly possible I rushed to the fire. On arriving I discovered that even the ten minute drive from home had put me to far away to witness the destruction of a 16 year old buisness in less than an hour the barn and all of its continents were a total loss mowers, tools, saws, and countless thousands of dollars in machinery and supplies gone. As I searched the grounds nearly frantic looking for the owner and his family I found them huddled together atop a mulch bin watching thier livley hood and thier hard work disappear in flames. Surrounding them was a sight that nearly brought tears to my eyes close to a dozen of the local landscape contractors and construction contractors that work in our rural area had already arrived with thier own families ready to provide what ever assitance they could and to console the family on thier loss. In the hours that followed commitments were made to provided any needed assitance for the immideate and long term future of the company equipment and employees were offered at no cost to help clean up hte mess and offers of assitance in covering contractual obligations were organized to insure that the company would make it thru this tragedy.
    The outpouring of love and compassion that was displayed by the local tradesmen of this community reassured me that even in this time of moral decay somethings mean more than the almighty dollar.. Please remember that although we often bid against each other and always try to out do the next guy that it could be you in trouble and when you are the people you want working beside you are the guys who do what we do and try just as hard as us to make a living.

On behalf of the Plaisted Family and the Owners of the PLAISTED LANDSCAPE SUPPLY AND GARDEN CENTER THANK YOU TO ALL WHO HELPED IN THIS TIME OF NEED.

2. that truly is horrible. keep us informed as to whatever you may find out about how the fire started. that would benefit us all i believe. i wish you and your friend all the best luck in this dark time.

3. script

script LawnSite Member

Carl28 sorry to hear about that misfortune, but thank God no one was hurt. I'm too far to offer any physical assistance but I'll send some prayers that they get through these tough times of rebuilding.. goodluck to you and your friends.

bobby

4. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

Im very sorry to here that, send my conolences to the family involved. It is very nice and warming to here that the locals(landscapers specifically) reached out to help the family, sometimes i wonder if people even care about eachother anymore the way things are getting so it is very nice to hear stories like that once in a while.

5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

they are lucky to have you and the others a friends.

please send them our best wishes.

GEO

6. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I wish the best for your friend. Also let us know if there is a fund we can send money to. I will help out, and I know many others here will also. It is nice to see that when terrible things happen, true people do shine through!

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

my biggest goal in life is to live it to the max,what ever that turns out to be. this story just shows how quick everything can change.my sympathies to your friend.everyday as i pull out the drive i simply ask for a good day ,or that i may endure .if its not so good.mostly just protect my family.what ever, we just keep on
    cause we really got no choice.again my sympathies.

8. as from experiance I do know what it is like to have other colleagues in the same biz that will come togather no questions asked in order to help with a misfortune

I would be one of the first in line to help even if I did not even know them

that's the kind of person I am and I don't like to hear about others misfortunes but they do happen and people should help them in their times of need

good luck to your friend and colleagues and hope the longer days ahead will put good fortune in all of their hearts and souls

LGF:blob3:

9. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

why dont we send him some money to help out!!!! every body in here can afford a few dollars right? remeber ther is a lot of us in here and five or ten bucks will go a long way if serveral people give.. carl why dont you give us an address so we can get help on the way

10. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Carl, sorry to hear about your friend's loss. The thing to remember is that nobody was hurt, and that rebuilding is always possible, even if it doesnt seem that way right now. Send them my best, or for that matter, everyone here on Lawnsite's best.
    On a site note, were they insured? Lets hope...