1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trail Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ned5485, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Ned5485

Ned5485 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Has anybody tried using a trailmower? I am talking about the inexpensive 44-66"
    mowing decks that are meant to be pulled by a mower/tractor or an ATV. They have their own engine and can be offset to either side.

The ones I have seen are swisher brand and can be found at Rural King or Northern Tools. I know they are not commercial and doubt they will last very long. I am ok with buying a "disposable" mower, I am just wondering if the cut is
    acceptable when they are new?
  2. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

I can tell you that the 44 trailmower, at least the older ones, will bog down fairly easily. It is rear discharge and during heavy cutting the clippings stick between the top of the blade and the deck and act like a brake, especially in the front right corner. When it starts squealing the belt you have to stop and clear the deck by hand. It will not clear itself. Not recommended.

I've heard the larger Swisher side discharge units are better but still kind of slow, however I have not used one. The best wing mower is the Acrease made by Kunz Engineering but costs much more money. I've heard it can keep up with anything that pulls it.
  3. Ned5485

Ned5485 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Anyone else have any experience?
  4. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

Good question, anymore help on this subject would be a big help. My problem: A divorced lady down the road wants me to cut about 5-7 acres once a month this season, I gave her a bid for the one acre she wants cut weekly around her house but did not bid on the clearing job. As I do not own a large tractor, I am thinking about a trailmower for my Polaris 500. I seen a Swisher, 12 hp and 44" cut for 1269$. If I don't buy it, my neighbor said he can do the job with his 60'' brushhog. Last year I turned down 2 simillar jobs because I didnot have the equipment. Hate leaving money on the table.
  5. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

She's divorced huh? Is she hot? If so, tell her you accept other forms of payment.... :drinkup:
  6. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

just sub out that part of the job to him.
  7. GreenAcresLC

GreenAcresLC LawnSite Member
    from KY

My dad cut his 3 acre yard for the last 2 years with a craftsman rider and a 60" swisher. Neither produced as good a cut as the commercial machines, but the swisher did a good job. Surely she doesn't expect a manicured look if she only wants it cut monthly, but the trail and the atv would probably do ok, in my opinion.
  8. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the replies, if this job turns out to be my only need for the trailmower, I am going to sub it to my neighbor. If I get other job opportunities like this early in the year, I may order one.