trail mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by blueisgood, Aug 8, 2004.

1. blueisgood

blueisgood LawnSite Member
    from S C

I do not cut grass as a living but have been asked to place a bid.Its is far a house develment that has about 4 miles of trails 20 foot wide no trimming just cut.I have the tractor to do this work and cut my lot or 4 acers.That is why i have been asked to cut it.It is each cut bid they want and will be given far a 3 year contract.Iam thinking 300-350 a cut.Dose that sound about right"

2. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Lets see if we can do the math with this one. Assuming there is no trimming and not a lot of stopping, this is what I came up with...
    1.) If it's 20 feet wide, that's about 4passes with a 60".
    2.) 4 miles times 4 passes equals 16miles.
    3.) 16miles times 5.5mph (average) about 4 hours.
    4.) 10 minutes for setting up and loading

i would say your bid is about right if all the numbers are true. If these trails are in rough shape, I would consider an ATV/mower set-up

[​IMG]

3. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah i like your price but would like to know what type of mower you will be using??

4. JohnK

JohnK LawnSite Member
    from Seattle

You'll need at least some minor overlap between passes or you'll leave some grass sticking up, correct? That would mean 5 passes and 20 miles. 20 miles divided (not times) by 5.5 mph would be 3.6 hours. If it can be done in 4 passes that would be 3 hours (2.9).

How did you get 4 hours to cover 16 miles at 5.5 mph, or was that a typo?

5. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Just some fudge factor

6. blueisgood

blueisgood LawnSite Member
    from S C

I be useing 72 in cut finishing mower. New Holland 33 d tractor 33hp 4 x 4. There is just one bad place where the trail goes over a creek. A pipe was put in the creek and lots of dirt was brought it to fill over the pipe and level out. Lots of rocks left on top will have to clean that up.The lots that have house built on them i am far the most part no going to be cutting they cut them. More bing built ever day so it will be getting smaller as time goes on.The trail are made far horse ride and walking.