Trailer about to break in half... welding questions

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Shady Brook, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I have what appeared to be a nice heavy duty tube framed 7,000 lb trailer. It has a double tonge... two 5" tube's staked with an extended tongue. Just a couple feet before the first axle the double stacked tube goes to a single, and where it goes to a single, on one half of the trailer the tube broke in half. Ther is also a 2" square tube that runs about 18" above the deck of the trailer and extends forward of the break on the bottom, and this also has sheared in half. This trailer is 19 feet long, and runs at max load nearly everyday. The question is, will welding this back together likely fix my problem, or will it manifest itself further back. I know there are no for sure's here, but a professional opinion. I fear the other side will eventually do the same without added reinforcements, and I am not sure what they would be. I kind of hate tube because you can not tell what is going on inside.

Anyway, before I spend a bunch of money trying to get this fixed I would like to hear some input.

Thanks

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

What brand of trailer are you running.

3. Shady Brook

from Indiana

BNM out of Michigan.

4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Thats the problem with "tube" steel frame trailors. They get water inside and never dry out. The other side will most likley be in bad shape also. Bang on it with a hammer an see how it sounds. Splice in a piece of tube and weld an angle along side the length of your frame for support. Might be best, in the long run, to cut out the old tube frame and replace it with new.

5. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Heavy reinforcements on both sides(have to bite on something solid) will keep that trailer running fully loaded. I would use 1/2'' plate cut and bent to shape.

6. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I am sort of going thru the same thing myself, except my trailer is angle. I chose to rebuild the trailer rather than try and fix.. With tube, you must be severly overloading the trailer. I suggest for a temp fix, that you weld up the cracks and then cut a piece of 1/4 plate into a diamond shape and weld on each side of the tube, on both sides of the trailer. If the tube is breaking where the double tube frame ends, probable cause could be the weld where the two tubes where put together. If its breaking at or near the weld, the diamond plate should fix your problem. At any rate, its a cheap, easy fix to do, and will probably be stronger than the original tubeing.

7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

if it is running at max capacity every day, get a heavier duity trailer....

8. Shady Brook

from Indiana

Thanks for the help fellas!

I rarely overload the trailer, but it is near max at all times. I do love the trailer, and hate to get rid of it. I just had the trailer modified last year, adding a beavertail. My welder is going to look at it tomarow, he is going to advice me in the morning. I expect we will weld the breaks and reinforce with plate or angle. I will let you know tomarow.

Thanks

9. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

the dimond renforcements are the best way to reinforce it you are never supposed to weld with the load you should always go across the load and with a break like that you will have to go with it first which will always be weak so you will have to do a dimond over so that it will take the weight

10. Shady Brook

from Indiana

My welder fixed it up yesterday. He welded all the areas that were broken, and reinforced the area from the double tongue to where the first starts with 1/2" plate. From talking to him it was a freek occurance. The metal was not rusty or apparantly week, just an oddity. When he has more time, I will likley have him reinforce the other side with plate. It will not break ahead of this area due to the double tonge, and it will not likley break over the axles, so the only other area of weakness would be at the rear. I am going to hope for the best, and watch it closely.

Thanks again for all your input men!