1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trailer accessories

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Vikings, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

Is there a thing that would allow me to unhook from the truck and enable me to push the trailer into its spot?

There must be, I just can't find it, I could probably make one if I had a welder though. I have a very small yard and wont be able to back a trailer in.
  2. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

3. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

What your trying to do can easily be accomplished with a "trailer jack wheel". You can purchase one at almost any trailer supply store.
    They make one that bolts on to your trailer tongue and it seems like they start around $25.00
    Here's a pic of what they look like.

4. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

Trailer Dollies, that's them. Thanks guys.
  5. mosmgras

mosmgras LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Couple of months back I made one of those trailer dollys. It works great, ON LEVEL GROUND. I found that with any sort of grade, forget it.
  6. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Wells, be careful with that sort of leg, I had one on my 12' trailer and needed to move it a few inches in my garage and the locking pin popped out and down it went and brushed my foot, with all the weight on the front with my Walker, I would have had a broken foot, I would suggest drilling a hole through the frame and insert a bolt so it can't pop out, if you have one you know what I am talking about, just some friendly advice.
  7. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

PS, The one I had was the type that could swing horizontal and lock into place when its hooked up and not the type that is a stationary, Just to clear it up from my last post.
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, those legs aren't made for actually moving a trailer around any distance. They're really quite flimsy.
  9. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

if i need to move my trailer arounf i just hook it to my mower and move it that way. and less work on my back
  10. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

I have the one that JPP clipped in his post and it works great for what i need it for. I have a 20' trailer and when it is loaded it's pretty heavy. I would never ever be able to move this trailer out of the car port without it. Sometimes i want to move the trailer to do work on the ztr or organize the equipment on it or just clean it up a little, and this unit allows me to move the trailer with hooking up to the truck all the time. Now all i can do with it is pull and push with it and its a struggle but easier that hooking it up to the truck i am not able to turn the trailer at all when it's loaded and barely when its empty. :waving: