Trailer Backing

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by drains, May 7, 2008.

1. drains

drains LawnSite Member

Does anyone have some tips or tricks for making backing up a trailer easier? I can do it but not as well as I need to. Thanks

2. Summit L & D

Summit L & D LawnSite Senior Member

Use subtle movements, don't try and do it fast and take your time. Practice. Go to an open area and set up some cones and practice backing the trailer into the space without hitting the cone. Practice.

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Practice, Practice, Practice...

How big is your trailer? The smaller the trailer, the harder it is to control when backing.

Also, use your side mirrors to back, don't crank your head around and look out the window. You never know when you may not be able to see out the rear window because of stuff in the bed, and if you have no "mirror backing" skills you will be there a while. Get a set of those blind-spot mirrors too, they help a lot for backing a trailer, as well as in traffic.

4. Military Lawns

Military Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Unfortunately, there is no real science to backing a trailer other than practice. For me I have to turn around to my right to get the feeling of where I am backing. if I look out the side mirrors, I will screw it up every time.

DJ-

Practice, Practice and Practice!

5. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

I also look behind me. Just takes practice, still getting used to where my blind spot is when I back up the enclosed. I could land the open trailer anywhere now that I can back up an enclosed lol.

Cheers

6. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

if u have an enclosed you just have to know where ur putting it something behind you and crunch. they say to put ur hand on the bottom of the wheel but ull lose track of where the tires r that way. small turns and take ur time

7. pickle

pickle LawnSite Member

When backing up my trailer, I put my hand at the bottom of the steering wheel and whichever way I want my trailer to go, that's the way I turn my hand.

8. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I never look back when backing....always use my mirrors. That comes from backing fire engines.

9. F3Nelson

F3Nelson LawnSite Member

Cant add much, its all about practice, the more you do something, the better you get.

I looked back at first, but then started using mirrors, and to me using mirrors is THE way to go.

10. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Never use the rear window as it and the rear one on the topper are dark tinted. Comes from backing a 5 ton truck/box van where there is no rear window also. And with small trailers, can't see them over the tailgate anyway.