Trailer ball hitch question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Petr51488, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I need a drop hitch for my new truck, but don't know how much of drop i need. The truck should be here in 2 weeks. I was looking in northern tool and found this ball hitch. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...omer driven-_-Recently Viewed-_-Category Page

It says it has a 12 inch vertical adjustment. Now this may sound like a stupid questions, because i've never done it before, but can i flip this hitch around so it acts as a 12 inch drop? Or is it only made to be a raised hitch. The last thing i need is this thing snapping off while towing 13k pounds. Any opinions on this one from northern tool? Also it doesn't state the reciever size. Would this be the standard on all trucks? Its for the New body style gmc 2500hd

2. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

You could buy that, and it should work for ya. 12" of vertical adjustment could be used in either direction. But you're going to wind up with about 6" extra inches of receiver hanging down. If you got a 4x4, a 5 1/4" or 6" drop should be plenty, depending on how much the truck actually sags with the trailer on. It looks like this one is only good up to 10k lbs. though, do you need more than that?

3. Petr51488

from NJ

I would rather have more than i never need so i never have to worry about it. But on the other hand, i dont want to spend 300.00 on a hitch.

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

The drawbar you listed in your link won't tow 13K lbs.

And without a CDL, you can't anyway.

Will you be towing different trailers with different hitch heights?

I would just see what you need and buy that.

When I went from my '90 C/K to my '04 new style, I went from a 2" drop to a 4" drop. From what I've heard the new '08's aren't different.

Here is what I have now.
    [​IMG]

If you DO need 13K capacity, you'll need to go with a Class V reciever which are 2 1/2" square.

5. Petr51488

from NJ

I don't necessarily need 13k and might only tow once with 13k pounds, but 13k is what the truck is rated for. Like i said, i would rather have it to be safe if i ever needed to tow something that much. The one in the link isn't a 2 1/2 inch square? The one in the link doesn't give too many details. I wanted something with the interchangeable hitch balls too. I'll prob never use the smaller one, but the 2'' is a must, and 2 5/16th might also be used. Thanks for your reply BTW. Oh, and the one in your picture does look alot more stronger than the one in my link.

6. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

That hitch would probally work fine, even for 13k as long as it is for short hauls. Just don't get busted by DOT. I have a 2 5/16 pintal hitch that is rated at 10k and have hauled 14k for a very short distance with my 2500hd gasser. I would though spend my money differently. for the money that you are looking at spending there, you could buy a good 2" drop mount and then a different drop mount for a 2 5/15 that is rated higher. Just keep in mind that almost all of your mounts and hitches on the market are rated up to 10k only unless you have a camper style. I recently replaced my 2500hd with a 3500hd and had them put a class 5 2.5" hitch on it. It is rated distributed up to 16k and undistributed up to 12K. Don't get side tracked by fancy hitches, keep it simple...

7. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

I actually have the black one of this ball mount and it is actually cheaper than the red one. $150 vs. $180.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_245756_245756

They are both rated the exact same. But it only goes up to 10k lbs. not 13k lbs! Now I'm not saying it can't pull this kinda weight as it's a very strong ball mount, but it's only rated at 10k lbs. It is an absolutely great ball mount. I'd buy another again in a heart beat. Super easy to adjust and versatile. It will allow you to go up or down 6" and has 3 different sized hitch balls. This will allow you to pull a variety of trailers with different vehicles and allow you to pull them all at the correct level. Plus they are all rated higher than standard hitch ball ratings. Now the black one I got weighs in at 55lbs so it's freakin heavy. I dont know why they are both rated at 46lbs now. It is made by buyers. I personally like the pin design better on the black one as they use those snap rings like on a walkbehind mower caster wheel to hold them on vs. a normal clip. Plus they cable them all together so you cant loose them or forget to put them all in. There's a little bolt too that you can tighten to help remove any of the play in the ball mount from all the components. Plus it's powder coated rather than painted.

Now the downsides. It sticks out past the vehicle bumper pretty far, farther than most standard ball mounts. Therefore you need long safety chains and electrical plugs on the trailer to reach the truck. Also if you flip the ball mount to drop the height, it sticks down quite a bit and can catch going up and down curbs if you have a low truck. But with the chevy 2500 you have it shouldnt be a problem.

8. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

if you want the best, then buy a B&W hitch, they make 2 and 3 ball models and they adjust more than youll ever need.

9. Petr51488

from NJ

Yea, i looked at the one you have and read the reviews. They also said it was great, but stuck out too much. How much does it stick out? I would hate to buy it then have to return it because it stuck out too far.

10. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

That's the thing. If you flip it so you can drop it 4 or 6" or whatever you need, you've still got 12" of drawbar hanging down.