Trailer Brake Drum Life

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by SiteSolutions, Jun 14, 2008.

1. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

Any idea what to expect from the drums as far as lifespan? I put new shoes on this week and still couldn't seem to adjust all the slack out of them. I'm guessing the drums must be worn away. They'll be three years old soon. Does this sound reasonable?

2. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

I got 4 years out of mine, and there was only 1/16" of the drum surface left.

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Brake drums are cheap never replace brake shoes without changing the brake drums.

By the time your brake shoes break in the drums are too thin to handle the heat.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You must be breaking some pretty big loads.

5. Gravel Rat

Its the steep hills in B.C. that requires good brakes. Thin drums means brake fade and brake fade is OH CRAP I'am not slowing down :dizzy:

Like I said brake drums are cheap then you know you will have good braking power new shoes and new brake drums will give you the best stopping power.

You get some woman slathering on lipstick, talking on her cellphone and not paying attention and cuts you off you want good stopping power when pulling a trailer.

Bobcat Ron should have lots of practice driving around the lowermainland :laugh:

6. bobcat_ron

Thank God for the BD Performance Exhaust Brake!!

7. Gravel Rat

Thats when the BD brake works mine doesn't even work I gave up on it :rolleyes:

8. bobcat_ron

Shoot some WD-40 in to the intake every 2 weeks depending on usage, that solved my problems.

9. Gravel Rat

I think my problems is the electronic controller is shot I have adjusted it the thing worked for 20 mins didn't work again. I already replaced the air cylinder because the original one packed it in.

I have a 6spd manual so I use the gears if I had a automatic then I probably try get the EB to work again.

10. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

Does that exhaust brake make a big difference?

I guess my next purchase will be a set of drums for the trailer. I just put some new pads on the truck; it's been having to stop too much of the weight by itself.

Anyone upgrade to aftermarket calipers or ceramic pads on their truck? I was looking at the SSBC V-8 brakes... 8 piston calipers! But is it just a gimmick or will it really help stop a heavy truck and trailer?