Trailer brake problems

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by PLM-1, May 21, 2005.

1. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Alright. All of a sudden my trailer brakes are only half-a$$ing. My trailer is only 7 months old. The gain on my brake controller was all the way up and still weren't getting much brake. There was some, but not like it was. Took it to the dealer today and he hooked my trailer to 2 different trucks and the worked great. After spending a couple of hours there we came to the conclusion that it must be my controller. So i bought a new controller and now they are better but still not skidding in gravel with half gain like they used to, or full gain for that matter. What do you all suggest i check? The dealer did mention that if my charging system is not fully charging that could be a problem. All of my lights work and are bright.

Looking for some feedback!!!

2. PLM-1

Just a bump...anyone??

3. PLM-1

Still nobody??? Somebody has to know!!!

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have to admit that I know nothing of how they work, but being electric is it a possability that there is a bad ground somewhere? any one got any ideas?Im not sure how/where the electric solenoid hooks in but could it be that it is bad or does it work off brake pressure and maybe your master cylinder is going out on the truck. Like I say I really have no ideas on electric brakes just taking a shot here

5. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

have you adjusted the brake shoes yet? how much weight do u load the trailer with , what size trailer.... depending on the weight loaded on the trailer and the size of the brakes 7 months could not be all that long a life for breaks on a trailer if used eyeryday. try adjusting the shoes out (closer to the hub ) this way when u put on the break they connect quicker. you should have more breaking this way.

6. PLM-1

I don't think it is a problem with the trailer because when i took it to the dealer he hooked it up to 2 of his trucks and they worked as they should. Bought a new controller thinking that was the problem but it didn't solve it.

7. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

two options really.
    bad ground or loose shoes.

i ground my trailer connection right to my frames by the hitch so i don't have a long ground lead that can get broken off somewhere hard to reach. Also, check the ground on the trailer, it should be somewhere easy to check but not easy to break.

jack up the axles and adjust the brakes. i like to adjust them until i hear and feel some drag on the wheels when i spin them by hand.

calibrate the controller with the brakes warm too.

what type of controller did you buy?

8. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

more possible than this,
    big questions what year, brand & model truck are you hooking up to?
    If you are on a prewired system it sounds like you have a voltage drop problem before the controller.
    let me take a guess, Dodge?

9. PLM-1

It's a Jeep, and i wired it all myself. It is grounded right by the hitch. I have never had a problem like this with it before. It's just all of a sudden. They work...but just half-a$$.

10. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Could be a pinched wire or even a defective wire. The brakes are using electrical power. The more power sent, the more they lock. I have a set of jumper cables at the shop. They look almost new, but hook them to a power source and nothing goes through. Mush have a problem inside the casing somewhere. I would re-wire from the controller back to the plug. Unless you can get a meter, check the power at the box, then at the plug. See if you are losing it along the way before you change all the wiring.