trailer brake problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by watatrp, Jul 18, 2001.

1. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

Got a new trailer with brakes. Hooked up the controller last night. Can't get the brakes to work. I know the controller is hooked up right. The pin on my truck that goes to the electric brakes shows 12v when I hook it up to the meter. Should it show 12v all the time or just when the brakes are applied?

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Well, whats your problem? Are the trailer brakes locked up or do you have no brakes? The only way a brake controller will produce 12V to the brake wire would be in a panic stop or by manual activation. It is variable so you have smooth activation. Be careful testing these controllers as 12V on the wrong wire can smoke the electronics! You may be test lighting the brake light wire and not the brake activation wire. Are you using a flat blade connector or a 7 pin Bargman type? The flat blade 4wire connector type do not support electric brakes, just not enough wires. You need : 1) brake light 2)right turn 3) left turn 4) parking lights 5) brake actuation 6) ground 7) backup.

3. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

Tom,

I'm pretty sure that I am testing the right pin. It's labeled right on the cover to the truck connection point. It's showing 12v without the brake controller connected. Makes no difference if the brakes are on or off. Leads me to believe that the wiring on the truck is wrong. That leads to the next question. If that pin is hot then the brakes should've been on. They weren't. That tells me that there's a problem with the trailer brake wiring. I just bought the trailer last weekend so once I straighten out the first problem I'll just take the trailer back and have them fix the brakes.